Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been training in karate for almost 12 years and have only recently decided that I want to learn how to use a few weapons, starting with the nunchaku (if thats how its spelt!) However i've been going to my library to get some books/videos on where to start and I cant find anything!! Does anyone know any good websites for some advice, or better still, has anyone here got any useful tips for me!? Is there any decent books/vids that I should look out for??
Thanks guys!

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanne I'm in exactly the same boat as you and have recently bought some training 'chucks. My first advice - BUY FOAM ONES! 'Chucks really hurt when your arms start to fatigue and your swing deteriorates to the point that you crack yourself on the head. Even the foam ones nearly concussed me one time!

There's quite a good site linked from another discussion which should give you some ideas - I'll find it and be back in a mo! Here we are: http://soulgrind22.homestead.com/ Definitely worth a look, although beware that the vids take a while to download, even on a T3 line so if you're using a regular modem you'll be online for an age!

Otherwise, Fumio Demura's books give a good (but a bit dull!) starting point. Apparently the second one has some katas, which I would like to learn - the first one is really basic and covers grips etc.

Finally, as if you need reminding (!) don't carry them around in the street as they're classed as an offensive weapon and you'll be prosecuted in the bat of an eye!

[ This Message was edited by: Bitseach on 2002-06-10 09:17 ]

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website is really good! thanks!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with the foam ones is highly recommeded. For some reason there is not a lot of free kobudo information around. You will probably have to buy a tape. The Nishiuchi tapes are really good ones.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you want to learn Okinawan Kobudo (which I teach) or japanese weapons.

If just japanese weapons then the Demura books are good - but are totally different to the Okinawan Kobudo syllabus (which I learnt the hard way)

If you want to learn Okinwawn Kobudo, and be graded by Sensei O'Connor, then purchase the Mikio Nishiuchi tapes - but be warned they are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you explain briefly the difference between these forms? (to us beginners!)
Cheers

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out that website.

Be warned that Okinawan Kobudo is all about effectiveness, not show. My examiner recently threw a student out of his school for constantly 'showing off' with the nunchaku, instead of using them in a proper manner.

We imagine that we are against an opponent, and traditionally the opponent would have laughed at you if you tried most of the fancy stuff (I'm talking about finger flips and chain grabs)

But, people say the fancy stuff is more fun, but there goes.

Tobias Reece
Nidan (Shotokan Karate)
5th Kyu (Okinawan Kobudo)

[ This Message was edited by: Tobias_Reece on 2002-06-10 12:47 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is hard to explain - but its kinda like the difference between Tae Kwon Do and Shotokan Karate.

CALLING OUT SAIFIGHTSMS : In our tsun kuwa work we never, ever attack with the handle - fearing that it will break. DO you in your style?

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightMS is right. There is not a lot of the information you are looking for. At least, not on the Web. This is because most people prefer to privately teach students on their own and pass these techniques down between themselves. I tried to get a guy to teach some katana moves and he wouldn't for the fact that I was not his student. Scott Stansell says that most people won't teach you moves like that because of one reason, and only one: they do not know the actual moves themselves. Most people (ESPECIALLY SaiFightMS) on this forum give out good advice and wisdom for free. He's a nice guy and you'd do well asking him stuff. Nunchaku are my favorite, and there is much to be learned using them. You aren't going to find good chuck books at a library. In the three libraries in my area, weapons' books are not there stranely. Barnes & Noble and the Borders bookstore over here have rows and rows of weapons books. Check out your local bookstore.
Hope this helped!

"A fool can put on wisdom, but his foolisness will show." -Kurt Dopler

Nunchaku Sticks (chain variety)

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Joanne, this Web site has better pictures for stringing corded nunchaku, or carving for that matter, if you prefer making your own. http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskbuki/howto/nunstring01.htm
I make my own nunchaku, it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

"A fool can put on wisdom, but his foolisness will show." -Kurt Dopler

Nunchaku Sticks (chain variety)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: