Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: I picked up a new TKD book... Reply with quote

I saw this mentioned on a Facebook group I'm in, and thought, what the hell? It's formatted to look like Choi's Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do (accept it's paperback), and is titled as such, and named Volume 16, Supplemental. I've just gotten started reading it, so will pop back in later with some thoughts. It covers two forms that are "lost" to TKD; one is Ko-Dang, which was political casualty for the most part, and the other is called U-Nam, which is not one I'd heard of, and I don't recall that it was in the Encyclopedia volumes put out by Stuart Anslow (if I'm wrong here, I apologize, but I just don't recall it). Supposedly, the only version of it in print is text-only in one of Choi's original books, many of which I guess were destroyed.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to reading it, and am interested in anyone else's thoughts on the book, if they have read it themselves.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ones on my list just haven't gotten around to it yet. Let us know what you think.

Here's U-Nam performed by Master Campbell (now Grandmaster I think): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpubS5To8Q and also by CK Choi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWsfcd7z2bo

There's supposed to be a fair bit in the original Korean Encyclopedia's which were lost on translation to English. Hence vol 16

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those, Danielle. I had seen the one by CK Choi (bookmarked it), but not the one by GM Campbell. I'm considering taking the time to learn the form, in the style of how we do forms.

I noticed that CK Choi seemed to have considerably less sine wave than GM Campbell.

As far as the book goes, I've found it interesting. I'm at the back end of the book, which he has dedicated to putting all the forms into the written format found in one of the condensed encyclopedias. It's not enjoyable reading at this point, and he seems to have done it more for a nostalgia purpose than anything else, but I'll trudge through it.

There are several forms in the Encyclopedia that our organization does not use, and several are out of place in comparison to the ranks they are done at. So I am considering spending time on the ones that aren't in our curriculum.

I've seen another book that is formatted in the vein of the Encyclopedia, and it's titled as Taekwon-do Study Companion, by George Achilles Lazarou. Heard of or know anything about it? I'm looking to get it next: https://books.lazarougeorge.gr/en/product/taekwon-do-study-companion/

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you have the time then no reason not to learn them. Some of our instructors still practice Ko Dang as they learnt it in the old days before it was removed.

Re. The book, I've seen it but don't know personally anyone who has it. My understanding is it goes into the individual techniques with extra detail which is missing from the encyclopedia. Would be interesting to see what it says.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: