Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: I Used to Compete! Reply with quote

In the first two years of my karate training, and all throughout my active judo training, I competed. I never liked competition--I'm a VERY non-competitive, non-confrontational person--but I did it, anyway. As my interest in practical karate grew, the competition aspect just lost my interest. Back then, I also used to practice kobudo, but that interest faded around the same time.

When I was competing, I had a few pictures taken, but not many, and almost no video. When I was going through photos, this morning, I stumbled across one video, though! It's of me competing in the Weapons division of the 2008 Midwest Regional Championships outside of Chicago. Honestly, I'm pretty embarrassed about it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share it, anyway

http://youtu.be/GYesqQEVoAc
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to be embarrassed, looked pretty good to me. What rank is a blue belt in your style?

I did notice that one of the judges leaned back, did the bo get a bit close? It did look like you didn't have much space to work with...

Nice job and I give you credit for sharing the video.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
No reason to be embarrassed, looked pretty good to me. What rank is a blue belt in your style?

I did notice that one of the judges leaned back, did the bo get a bit close? It did look like you didn't have much space to work with...

Nice job and I give you credit for sharing the video.

Thanks! That's actually a purple belt, and this was back when I did Shuri-Ryu. In that style, purple belt is the yonkyu (4th kyu) rank.

I definitely didn't have much room, and you can see me adjust my stepping during that sequence so that I wouldn't run into the judges. I didn't think I got too close, but obviously the judge who put his mouthpiece in thought I did
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll second that sentiment. No need to feel any embarrassment towards that video. Can I ask you Noa, what grade are you in this video? I ask because here in the UK, most schools frown on weapon training until you are at least Dan grade. It happens, but maybe only on courses and special events. Of course some styles don't advocate any weapon training at all. There are others, such as tai chi schools that hand out steel dao swords after only a few months training, but these are the exception. Maybe it is to do with cautious insurance cover, and yet private training with weapons is common. Just a thought.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Hey, I'll second that sentiment. No need to feel any embarrassment towards that video. Can I ask you Noa, what grade are you in this video? I ask because here in the UK, most schools frown on weapon training until you are at least Dan grade. It happens, but maybe only on courses and special events. Of course some styles don't advocate any weapon training at all. There are others, such as tai chi schools that hand out steel dao swords after only a few months training, but these are the exception. Maybe it is to do with cautious insurance cover, and yet private training with weapons is common. Just a thought.

I was a yonkyu (4th kyu) in Shuri-Ryu, at the time, but I started learning kobudo around rokkyu (6th kyu)--they encouraged everyone to learn kobudo. A bo kata was required to earn sankyu (3rd kyu), and you had to pass proficiency tests with bo and sai to test for shodan. I had already passed my proficiency test with the bo, and narrowly failed my sai test, by the time I competed in this tournament.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see that the attitude to the inclusion of weapon training is different. My original Sensei taught me a style he called Shorinji Karate, or Shorin Ryu Karate. His Sensei was Rikishi Oya of Okinawa. I picked up a pair of nunchaku and then Sai with Sensei Symmonds only when I reached the age of 18. This was his way, I reached shodan at the age of 22 after 8 years training. I practice with both weapons today, along with dagger and tomahawk; which are taught to me by Sensei Lock on Anglesey. Kobudo is rare in Wales, there are many karate schools, but they are in decline in favor of Kick Boxing and MMA. Then again, you can find real Budo if you look for it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join the rest when I say...nothing to be embarrassed about. Clean, focus, snap...all needed elements were there. For a yonkyu, solid!!

I would've liked to have seen the scores, though. On a 10 basis, I would've gave you a solid 9.3!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I'll join the rest when I say...nothing to be embarrassed about. Clean, focus, snap...all needed elements were there. For a yonkyu, solid!!

I would've liked to have seen the scores, though. On a 10 basis, I would've gave you a solid 9.3!!

Much appreciated! According to pictures, I got an 8.75, an 8.91, and an 8.79 on the scorecards.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Much appreciated! According to pictures, I got an 8.75, an 8.91, and an 8.79 on the scorecards.

Admirable scores. Had I been there as a judge, it's possible my scores might've been similar because being there in front of you is different from the one angle and such. Still, I'll stand behind my 9.3!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: