Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minus the weight classes, as I suppose that they exist for many wholesome reasons, nonetheless, many competitors drive that false sense of security that they, through their style of MA, begin to imagine that they, themselves, are far superior to everyone else...ahem...better than everyone else.

I'm not saying that any said competitor isn't skilled and experienced in their MA, however, things like the weight classes and the rules and the regulations and anything else, they tend to carry the air of invincibility for all to see.

What's forgotten, in their air of superiority, is that not every individual can win at everything, especially on the streets. It's heard around the world..."Best" or "Better" or whatever other label one should desire to attach to themselves and/or the MA they're a student of.

I'd just like to see said competitors check their superiority at the door more often than it has been before. I don't know; I'm just thinking out loud.

Imho!!

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, competition can feed the dangerous illusion of a "strongest"; when the reality is that some one out there will have the skills to beat us at physical chess eventually, that age will begin to rob us of ability, and that when no one is playing by the rules there are many equalisers out there.

However, saying that, competition can have a positive effect on big fishes in small ponds. Being the best fighter in the dojo/gym but then getting yourself checked at a competition can be a useful learning experience.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: