Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

violent_miss_perfect
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay first of all i would like to mention i am TOTALLY new to this site.
i am seriously considering taking up kickboxing, but i have no idea what the rules are and such details. you must understand i am very athletic and this sport seems challenging.....and well most other sports i've taken-up have been really easy, too easy even, and i really need a good challenge to start of the new year. but i know nothing, anything about the sport is new information. i would have just singed up for it and found out later but my mom insisted i do a little research. moms usually know best
o well thanx for any information you can give me

~Shannon~

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me first say welcome. And i like your name: It denotes female perfection (miss perfect) along with a bad-* attitude (violent)... Melikes.

Well kickboxing invloves a lot of stuff... Like Boxing (punching, and doing it properly) and Kicking (kicking properly). There are many many many different kicks and punhes. Also there are things such as throws and wrestling (grappling/takedowns).

If you go for Muay Thai Kickboxing (the national sport of thailand), also known as the 'science of 8 limbs' and 'the ultimate truth' then you will probably be studying arguably the best punching and kicking martial art out there. A very hard martial art, and it should suit your athleticism.

Anyway, cheerio.
Angus

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few different styles of competition kickboxing

thai kickboxing - where they allow fists kicks elbows and knees. you are allowed to kick to the legs and you have to be very tough to get into that style. the professional fighting span of most thai boxers is about 2-3 years mainly because their legs and knees cannot take anymore punishment, you are also allowed to catch your opponants kick if you can and start pounding their base leg with kicks if you like.......this art is one of the best striking arts out there

full contact or american rules kickboxing - only fists and kicks are allowed and all kicks must be above the waist. legal targets are chest kidneys face stomach and the head

there is also low kick divisions where you are allowed to punch and kick to the legs and K1 rules where you can use fists kicks (to the legs and well as head and upper torso) and knees. its pretty much thai kickboxing with no elbows

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your name too.

Look around through the forum. There are a lot of questions in here and a lot of answers people have given. This is a good place to ask questions. Generally others will do their best to send you in the right direction.

Sai

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't let anybody here scare ya.the 2-3 life span in muaythai is urban legend.most fighters from thailand start very early in life and fight for many years. where this rumor comes from is the life expectancy in the big arenas in thailand.once your career starts to falter, then you're considered washed up.they don't quit because of injury they usually go to other countries and fight/live or go into being a trainer or pad holder.when a former stadium champ or contender comes to the states it's a big deal to us,so there is money to be made,plus even though they are washed up in thailand,the competition here usually isn't very tough so they do quite well fighting here.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums (great name by the way). Kickboxing is a very athletic sport. Thai boxing is a very good forms of it and a very challenging one at that.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Bon said. Any question asked in open forum will benefit others as well.

We like questions here.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: