Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: I will start taichi during summer vacation Reply with quote

Is it possible to develop intrinsic power from tai chi, daito ryu aikijitsu, and systema. If it is possible, I will cross train in all three. Also, I would like to know if Systema is a legitimate system of combat. I heard that a person can train in systema eventhough he/she is injured. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with systema. The faith based principles of systema seem esoteric. I've seen some videos of systema people falling off balance because they fear the grandmaster instructor, which seems kind of silly.

Last edited by kamahlthedruid on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, pick an art that you do not question the legitimacy of, and start training it.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know much about martial arts. Many feats that shaolin monks, combat ki people, wudang monks, and spetsnaz soldiers are capable of look all fake too me. I do not understand chi which comes from the dantian and what it does. There is a video of an old monk on the internet doing one finger zen! I do not how anyone can do this with chi/ki!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then do something that doesn't involve chi. Zen is concept having to do with accepting things as they are, and living in the moment without attachment to past, future, or sentiment. Or at least in my limited understanding of Buddhist concepts. It has nothing to do with monk fingers. Want to develop your dantien? Work your abs and maybe do some cardio. Want to knock people down with spirit pressure? Watch Bleach and Dragonball. Tai Chi is a beautiful art, but it's not designed to fight with. Aikijutsu trained PROPERLY has great weapon disarms. All to often it's done with an uke that oversells everything like a bad jobber. Same with sytema. With a good instructor, it could be good. But faith based principles? Come on, what are we talking about? Martial arts or Jonestown? Once again, find something that does not look like a larping cult and DO IT. Or, join a larping cult, and larp like there's no tomorrow. The world ends next year when the planets align and the great Cthulu returns from the abyss anyway. Either way it's better than trying to decide if Grandmaster X of the Purple Dragon Fighting Society selling instructor courses on Youtube is a fraud or not. A year on this forum and you haven't picked a style to train? Had you and a friend started boxing in the backyard, even with no instruction, you would have had some small amount of skill by now.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://journalofchinesemartialscience.blogspot.com/2008/09/one-finger-zen.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnxt6hDA3E8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwE2qhUfeM

One finger zen has been accomplished by two different shaolin monks.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. Both the monks for their training and you for missing my point.

These guys worked their butts off to be able to do that.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Tai Chi is a beautiful art, but it's not designed to fight with.

This is not true. Tai Chi is just like every other martial art. Trained in the proper manner, it can be used effectively. In fact, a quick glance at youtube will show more Tai Chi people trying out their stuff full speed (yeah it's kinda ugly) than most other CMAers. One problem with Tai Chi is that it is marketed as an old person martial art. The other huge problem with Tai Chi is that like 99% of all other TMAs, it's trained improperly for any sort of self defense. We both know what a problem that can be.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
Tai Chi is a beautiful art, but it's not designed to fight with.

This is not true. Tai Chi is just like every other martial art. Trained in the proper manner, it can be used effectively. In fact, a quick glance at youtube will show more Tai Chi people trying out their stuff full speed (yeah it's kinda ugly) than most other CMAers. One problem with Tai Chi is that it is marketed as an old person martial art. The other huge problem with Tai Chi is that like 99% of all other TMAs, it's trained improperly for any sort of self defense. We both know what a problem that can be.

I read a book, I forget the name, by Sam Sheridan. He said that a Tai Chi teacher he met could hit ridiculously hard. It has value that can translate well to combat, but it's usually practiced as forms only. Forms have value, but are not a fighting system when trained alone.

Someone today described my BJJ as looking like Tai Chi. Odd comparison. I end to be slow and controlling, or when Tallgeese is down here, slow and controlled. There is a lot to be said for the Zen mentality. It's great for martial training. I still can't throw fireballs without equipment to do so.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what was said earlier as far as "faith based" principles. Anything like that is not likely to serve you well.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "intrinsic" power. Power comes from good body mechanics and good body strength.

If you are spending this much time wondering if the styles you are looking at look fake, and you say you have no experience, then I'd say you've answered your own questions already. Check out some other schools and gyms and see what they've got to offer. Is there a Boxing gym you can check out?

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, which is why I said 99% of all other TMAs have the same issue.

I've been working on fireballs, but I might have to just stick with a flame thrower.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: