Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
The testing time has lessened today and so have the requirements.
When I tested for Shodan it took on average two days for most. Back then you had to have mastered the beginning Mudansha grades (Hachikyu to Yonkyu) and be very proficient in the advanced Mudansha grades (Sankyu to Ikkyu). You had to demonstrate all of the Mudansha Kata, Applications (Bunkai), Kihon, self defense, terminology, history of the art, lineage and fought (Kumite and not the patty cake crap of today) all of the Yudansha at Shodan and Nidan and been able to continue.
Of course it was held at a higher level than it is today. It was not just another rank and you were expected to be able to defend yourself because you represented the instructor, school and art. A student reflected his teacher, dojo and art and most instructors would not even ask you to test until they felt you were worthy. No time limit. It took me 7 years to be granted the right to test and earn my Shodan. It's different now.
Now it takes about 4 to 5 years and only 4 hours and the requirements are more lax in comparison.
Can't have little Johnny going home with a shinner or briken nose! This was somewhat common place then. It's not now.

It all depends on the school. Some have "sold out," some haven't. Some grant 1st dan in less than 2 years, some take significantly longer. There's everything out there from non-contact MA to full-contact.

Rank doesn't make the MAist; the MAist makes the rank. Some people think lineage is very important, others not so much. Lineage at least gives one an idea of the standards the MAist was held to when promoted.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:

Can't have little Johnny going home with a shinner or briken nose! This was somewhat common place then. It's not now.

The last Shodan grading that I attended, 1 of the 2 students got his nose broken in the FIRST sparring round of 40. Bad luck, it's going to be a long way to the 40th round......
Finished in style tho.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

The last Shodan grading that I attended, 1 of the 2 students got his nose broken in the FIRST sparring round of 40. Bad luck, it's going to be a long way to the 40th round......
Finished in style tho.

That is part or at least it used to be part of the test. Proving you have the gumption to continue in the face of physical and mental exhaustion and even thru injury. This proved to your instructor two things, 1. you have the determination and 2. you have the will. The old saying goes; "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" and "seven times down, eight times up". These principles used to be common place. Very few practice the old ways anymore.
I would've shaken the students hand after he finished the test.
This is not to mean that testing needs to be barbaric. Just that there used to be a higher standard. You didn't quit when your nose was broken or a finger got jammed. You pushed through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: