Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: If I go to shotokan Reply with quote

If I go to shotokan, I fully accept that I'll be a complete beginner in that style, despite years of tang soo do, and wado and other styles prior.

Tang soo do is, in theory at least, very heavily influenced by shotokan. In fact some say TSD is just shotokan with more emphasis on kicks.

That being the case, if I go to shotokan, what should the etiquette be? Let's say on my first class, they ask us to do, for example, high block from front stance. Do I do my best TSD high block from front stance and wait to be corrected if necessary? Or would I plead ignorant and wait to be shown their interpretation of said techniques and postures?

I want to show that I'm open to new ideas and their way of training. While at the same time I don't want to be tedious with them if their way is almost identical to the way I'm already familiar with.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the guys besides you.

This was ingrained in me as a white belt at my first dojo. It sounds stupidly simple but you'd be amazed at how many new students or even advanced students learning something new will just sit there cluelessly instead of following what everybody else is doing. Surely you're not one of those clueless guys but I think the same mantra applies to you - just follow what everybody else is doing.

The subtler things like how exactly to move your feet, hips, etc. IMO just do your best based off what you've been trained and wait to be corrected if necessary.

That's how I would play it.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have years of martial arts training then your body will adopt very quickly and you pick things up quick ,how various techniques are performed and timing in kime and stances and so on .

If I go to a new club and style I would go and stand at the bottom of the pack and even wear a white belt and show lot of respect towards the master and his students .

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with years experience will have habits and a way to move shaped by whatever was practised. When taking up something new, is to make active and conscious efforts to shed as set aside what one has learned in previous training.

If it is shotokan, then make every effort to do things in the shotokan way. Be polite, humble and honest about prior experience. Find the appropriate time and get the instructor to demonstrate in detail and ask for specific advice to make the necessary changes. One advantage of having prior training is that it allows one to understand and analyze techniques on a different level than an absolute newcomer in martial arts.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just move; don't overthink any movement. If the CI corrects you and/or doesn't correct you, then so be it, it's for a reason; it's a win-win either way. With your experience, any experience, the CI will correct only what's necessary, and will not bother with the smallest details.

Just be yourself, train hard, and don't worry about anything. The CI will respect your experience beyond what you've might've already told him once your on the floor.

Learning a new styles methodologies and ideologies is all part of transitioning from the familiar to the not so familiar. Besides, you already have accepted that you're a beginner in Shotokan, even though TSD has a solid connection between the two.

barefoot-kohai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little piece of advice: Be yourself.

About etiquette: "In Rome do as Romans do". Practice your best and be open to corrections and adjustments. You may find dojos with with relaxed atmosphere and some others with lots of ceremonial and discipline. As long as is healthy, there is nothing bad about it.

Best person to talk about this subject is your instructor: He must know people about attending his/her class. It is his/her duty.

Of course you are not going to be able to change from one style to another in a week. Your first style or martial discipline is like your swear words: You may speak many languages, but you will always swear in your native one when you are really angry.

But take into consideration the small corrections that you instructor will probably do.

In the class I am attending there are a couple of guys that used to practrice TaeKwonDo. You can notice. From time to time, sensei says: Hey! that heel! Look at the stance!... Shouldn't be a drama. You are going to a school to practice, learn and have a good time, not to be punched or be scolded.

Best of lucks.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: If I go to shotokan Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
If I go to shotokan, I fully accept that I'll be a complete beginner in that style, despite years of tang soo do, and wado and other styles prior.

Tang soo do is, in theory at least, very heavily influenced by shotokan. In fact some say TSD is just shotokan with more emphasis on kicks.

That being the case, if I go to shotokan, what should the etiquette be? Let's say on my first class, they ask us to do, for example, high block from front stance. Do I do my best TSD high block from front stance and wait to be corrected if necessary? Or would I plead ignorant and wait to be shown their interpretation of said techniques and postures?

I want to show that I'm open to new ideas and their way of training. While at the same time I don't want to be tedious with them if their way is almost identical to the way I'm already familiar with.

Always show up to class with an empty cup. Assume you know nothing (which is brutally hard to do!)

The muscle memory might be a challenge, however. Students who come to our schools from elsewhere have a hard time with our blocks. Our knife-hand blocks are way different than any place else I've seen. Everyone from other schools revert to their old ways.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO shotokan leads very well into other styles but that does not make the opposite true. Us, Shotokan traditionalist are very grounded in the ideas of being simple and I've discovered that creates a lot of fustration for people with other backgrounds to step in.

However Shihan Kenneth Funakoshi did Judo and Kempo for years before starting and becoming one of the formost Shotokan experts in the world.

Question becomes can you teacher explain it and are you willing to make that adjustment?

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoshin, beginners mind. It's good to see that you already want to go there with that attitude. I've had a similar transition, coming from 20 years of Wado / Boxing / Jiu-jitsu. Just be honest to the instructors, do let them know that you have experience in other styles. But also make clear that you're there to learn, and that you just want to train! Show up with a white belt and just have fun.

Gichin Funakoshi

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melau wrote:
Shoshin, beginners mind. It's good to see that you already want to go there with that attitude. I've had a similar transition, coming from 20 years of Wado / Boxing / Jiu-jitsu. Just be honest to the instructors, do let them know that you have experience in other styles. But also make clear that you're there to learn, and that you just want to train! Show up with a white belt and just have fun.

Solid post!!

Nothing says it better than when a student humbles themselves willingly.

You'll be fine, so just train hard and train well!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: