Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
Of course you need to practice it against a resisting opponent. Not to do so is to say you can hit a home run because you know how to swing a bat, but you've never tried to actually hit a ball.

Exactly.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I wonder how long it will take for me to get beyond the shock of being in an altercation. I’m 37 and I don’t think I’ve been a “fight” since middle school so it has been awhile. It is one thing if the fight occurs after some type of an exchange but what if it is a sucker punch type attack. Since I don’t train like a police officer I assume that there will some lag time between… “what just happened”… “I’m being attacked”… “Evaluate & defend”.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in a fight (a REAL fight) I'd probably try things such as a soccer kick to the knee (or maybe a side kick to the knee, karate style) or hitting the ear with my open hand (to cause loss of balance).

We could say, I'd try "weird", unusual, "out of the box" things that I'd think that the other guy would not expect, and that could probably end the fight with that one blow.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to fight today, I would be confident only against yellow and orange belts at other schools because I learned a lot in three months at a school called ISD, and from my dad who taught me some moves from itf taekwondo. I did controlled sparring only as a white belt. As a person goes up in belt ranking, he or she has to do more hardcore sparring at ISD! My senseis at isd taught me very practical self defense and dirty fighting.

etali
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been doing a martial art for very long. I have had cause to defend myself on three occasions in my life, and on all of those occasions I did OK. I'm female, and each case was a single, male attacker, unarmed. Two of the occasions were muggers (I went to college in a rough area). They were expecting easy prey, and when they grabbed me I reflexively flailed / kneed them, or hit them over the head with a very heavy bag of college books. Then ran away as fast as possible (I used to run competitively, so was fast, and could run for longer than most "normal" people).

I now live in a much nicer area, and don't anticipate any more trouble, but if I ever did have cause to defend myself, I think that right now I'd probably fall back to the same crazed / shock the person by being a lunatic defence.

My style of Karate does involve sparing, and I'm finding that when I'm up against men my short stature means that if I'm close enough to hit them (even with a kick), they're close enough to grab me. I have learned a lot about blocking incoming hits, but at my current level of experience (very low), I don't think I would rely on anything I've learned in the dojo as a way to end a fight.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'1" 230 lb brazilian jiu jitsu blackbelt, tatted from head to toe, bald, intimidating and most confident. Typical I know. I have been in a few altercations and did well subduing the misguided individuals without hurting myself or them. One of which the guy dwarfed me! I feel as though I am in control everywhere I go. But there is always a fear of the unknown in the back of my mind. Just as those guys didn't realize who the were about to tangle with... neither do I. it's our minds that will save us then. Being alert and observant will allow us to recognize a situation that we can't handle moments before it gets to that point.

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll do a fair bit of training while yelling at each other and making agressive behavior so that if we did have to fight at a certain moment especially in a mugging the idea would be to be more used to that bodily reaction of freezing up when confronted with an attacker yelling at you and getting in your face, and being able to more effectively deal with that threat.

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrangeBacon wrote:
We'll do a fair bit of training while yelling at each other and making agressive behavior so that if we did have to fight at a certain moment especially in a mugging the idea would be to be more used to that bodily reaction of freezing up when confronted with an attacker yelling at you and getting in your face, and being able to more effectively deal with that threat.

I'm not sure you are going to get the emotional response and adrenaline dumped from this. I know for me going to other schools(where I don't know anyone) to train live and going to comps give me a similar feeling of being in a confrontation. However there have been times when I compete and am completely calm. The few altercations I have been in, I have also been calm, even with having a gun waved in my face. I relate this to normal everyday life. Emotionally I get upset when I trip over my wifes high heels because they were left out and because I think it's preventable. lol. But whenever something very serious happens it's more like I just sit back and watch life happen. Even when it happens to me. I guess that's me learning to let go of the things I have no control over.

Kensei723
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shinkendo, Hyoho Niten Ichi-Ryu, GFT (Ground Fighting Techniques), and a little Tae kwon-do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer, do nothing which is of no use.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Why is the sky blue? Because God loves the infantry! Why does God love the infantry? Because we get to Heaven first!

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in real street situations, befor and after i started learning martial arts, and yes the proper training helps, but the 2 on 1 live training, and the full contact 1on1 sparring from striking to grappling until someone is either just covering up or submiting on the ground ( with safety equipment so you still have training partners) is the best thing i've ever found to prepare you for the street. No you can't do this every session, but once or twice a month is a big help for real world confidence. Even with all the gear on we still got the idea of what works, and what needs improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: