Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zanshin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu Karate, Daito Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, Ono-Ha Itto-Ryu Kenjutsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Interesting. I would interperate it to mean total commintment to attack. Leaving all behind to damage the opponant.

I'll have to bounce this one off a friend of mine who is fluent and see what he has to say.

一 (Ichi) = One
拳 (Ken) = Fist
必 (Hitsu) = Certain
殺 (Satsu) = Kill

Spoken "Ikken Hissatsu"

There you go tallgeese my man.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

www.art-of-budo.com

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go, lookin out for me as always Z. Thanks.

I still have trouble buying into the one punch one kill that this seems to put forth. I've always been a combination guy myself. Still, it's good to know what they're acually talking about.

Zanshin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu Karate, Daito Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, Ono-Ha Itto-Ryu Kenjutsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
There you go, lookin out for me as always Z. Thanks.

I still have trouble buying into the one punch one kill that this seems to put forth. I've always been a combination guy myself. Still, it's good to know what they're acually talking about.

No worries.

Actually I agree with you and I have always looked at this expression as more of an idiom.

I think a previous poster mentioned that it was probably a hangover from Kenjutsu, which I feel is a valid explanation.

I have also heard that Kiai (shout) points in kata are supposed to be a reflection of " Ikken Hissatsu". Sort of makes sense to me if you take the term Kiai literally (harmonising of ones energy/will into the ultimate strike).

May be as a final part of a combination.

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

www.art-of-budo.com

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
We have a thing in ITF TKD of only wrapping the belt around the waist once (rather than the double wrap a lot of other styles use) to signify this philosophy. We also say "one technique, one defeat" rather than "one blow, one kill" so ending an altercation doesn't necessarily have to be fatal. For me it means you have to constantly strive to improve your techniques so that each and every single block, strike or kick gets closer to being able to bring about that one technique defeat. Every technique needs to be honed so that it has maximum power and is delivered with accuracy and you shouldn't ever be satisfied that you've got the most out of that one technique because it can always be improved. That's why I see the maxim as something to work towards but something that is not always attainable in an altercation.

Very nice. Its that philosophy that makes you continue to hone even your basic techniques, to get closer and closer to being able to attain a perhps unattainable goal.

I didn't know that ITF had single wrap belts, either. All my TKD black belts have been double wrapped.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
We have a thing in ITF TKD of only wrapping the belt around the waist once (rather than the double wrap a lot of other styles use) to signify this philosophy. We also say "one technique, one defeat" rather than "one blow, one kill" so ending an altercation doesn't necessarily have to be fatal. For me it means you have to constantly strive to improve your techniques so that each and every single block, strike or kick gets closer to being able to bring about that one technique defeat. Every technique needs to be honed so that it has maximum power and is delivered with accuracy and you shouldn't ever be satisfied that you've got the most out of that one technique because it can always be improved. That's why I see the maxim as something to work towards but something that is not always attainable in an altercation.

Very nice. Its that philosophy that makes you continue to hone even your basic techniques, to get closer and closer to being able to attain a perhps unattainable goal.

I didn't know that ITF had single wrap belts, either. All my TKD black belts have been double wrapped.

Yeah all the belts are single wrap. Means that they are slightly thicker in most cases because they only have to go around once.

James Bullock
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combative Sciences, GoJu Ryu, Kenpo Karate, JKD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think in terms of "killing" the person per se; however I seek to destroy the persons spirit and will to fight.

Every blow should be to end the confrontation...there is no setting up the final shot.

www.combativesciences.com
http://www.myspace.com/warrior_athletics
http://combative-sciences.blogspot.com/

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Bullock wrote:

Every blow should be to end the confrontation...there is no setting up the final shot.

This is what I think myself, James. I don't actually see the need to kill the opponent; the idea is to neutralize him, meaning anything from that he's hurt and backs off to knocking him out.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
I always interpreted it as a death touch technique.

That's what I thought also.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Bullock wrote:
I don't really think in terms of "killing" the person per se; however I seek to destroy the persons spirit and will to fight.

I agree. But be ready to throw another final blow if you have to.

James Bullock
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combative Sciences, GoJu Ryu, Kenpo Karate, JKD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault...

I meant to say that your intention should be to end the confrontation with every blow regardless how many you throw.

Strike until there is nothing left to hit but air.....in other words...he is no longer conscious or a threat..

www.combativesciences.com
http://www.myspace.com/warrior_athletics
http://combative-sciences.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: