Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MasterPain wrote:
To me, it's a joke unless said by someone who can hit harder than Tank Abbott, who despite benching over 600 pounds, and having punching technique designed to optimize power with no thought of defense, never killed anyone.

I doubt that Ikken hissatsu is a joke, and therefore, imho, it shouldn't be taken lightly either.

There's an ancient Okinawa principle that might interest you. It's practiced as it was meant to be by the Okinawa warriors of that day, but few Okinawa schools practice it. Shorin-ryu, Goju-ryu, and yes, Shindokan, still do practice Renzoku ken (Continuous Fist).

Bushi-te is the art that was practiced back then, and to do Renzoku ken any justice, one must still practice it. And without going into a lot of its history, development, techniques, and applications here, let me just point out some key points. Imho, Ikken hissatsu is no joke.

*Excellent grappling applications for use in subduing and restraining
*It included the devastating Ikken hissatsu technique for life-or-death situations
*It also addresses vital-point strikes, so that one will know where to deliver blows which could severely injure or kill an attacker
*For those situations when grappling was ineffective and the one-strike kill was foiled, the art provided a follow-up attack known as renzoku ken
*In the Bushi-te, each renzoku ken technique was fully focused, as if it were the only technique needed. Just as the concept of Ikken hissatsu IS
*If the technique was blocked or dodged, the bushi-te stylist would flow into another technique which was a natural extension of the original movement. The result was an extremely effective series of techniques which kept an attacker on the defensive, and eventually overpowered him
*Renzoku ken serves as an effective follow-up maneuver to a grappling technique. If grappling moves failed, one would be in close proximity to their opponent and vulnerable to a counterattack. Thus, the bushi-te exponent was prepared to transition naturally from the grappling technique to a withering barrage of strikes
*Tuite, Shindokan's bread and butter, in which one person attacks while the defender applies a joint lock. then flows into whatever counterstrike comes most naturally
*To move again and again until a resolution is eventually achieved
*Ikken methods, sometimes are not enough to end a real confrontation. All too often, however, it is the second or third strike that's needed. Hence the importance of also training in Renzoku ken

Joke may be the wrong word here. The interpretation you give sounds fine. Too many take it to mean you only need one strike, which is a very dangerous belief to have.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to kill with one blow, of course. What i disagree with is using this as a training modality.

If you are training to end the fight with one blow, you may be mentally unready or unable to follow up with repeated strikes if they are necessary. You fight how you train, and if you are training to throw one strike, thats what you will do under stress.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is "hit them once then turn your back and do a victory cheer" but rather "hit them with intent to deliver enough power to take them out. If that doesn't work, do it again. Don't just bop at them hoping to 'wear them down'."

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you what "to kill with one blow" doesn't mean to me: To use multiple techniques in the process of not killing someone. If your "one blow" doesn't kill anyone, it's not much of a death blow.

Perhaps something is lost in translation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: