Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Imagination vs Reality Reply with quote

An artist can bring something out from imagination in to reality.

To see something before it happens works well for planning and strategies but it needs to have a start and a completion.

Otherwise, it is like cutting an imaginary piece of paper in half and cutting it again in half and throwing the other half away, and so on till infinity.

In reality there comes a point when there is nothing to cut in half.

Reality has its limitations and Imagination has none, an important point to remember.

In martial arts there is plenty of imagination associated with virtual martial art practices.

Keeping your martial art grounded is an important factor for maintaining real progress.

In other words, keep you imagination and reality detector in good working order at all times.

Telling the difference between imagination and reality isn't always clear, until after the fact, this is why, hind sight is 20/20 vision.

Also the saying, if it sounds too good to be true then its probably not, is worth considering.

Imagination is like play, and it is possible that people play on your imagination for profit and gain, used in sales tactics.

I like it when CI's explain the martial art they teach than those that are constantly selling it; piece by piece.

How is your I and R detector working these days?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagination can be a good thing. I read a quote some years back that was very true concerning looking outside the box when studying the Kata and it's other possible meanings. Practical applications if you will.

The quote went something like - Instructors, bring years of knowledge and skill that have been taught to them and therefore sometimes tend to wear blinders and not see other ways. A beginner brings nothing but their imagination and can often see what the experienced can not.

I have experienced this throughout the years of teaching students. Most would not admit to this due to ego and position but for me I have learned much from my students. There are things that I would never have thought of. My Shinshii has said the same.

So imagination can be a good thing.

Having said that too much imagination and not enough reality is a disaster waiting to happen. Most of us live in the real world and as such can identify the truth. Those that live in the imagination world seldom find the truth.

I figured I'd drop a little Zen vibe on you guys today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: