Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make sure to train hard ok? I'll be asking Sifu B for a full report on your progress when I see him in September

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you worry bout me. I always train hard. I wouldnt train if I wanted to take it easy. I could do that at home in front of the tv. I do appreciate the encouragement though.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some encouragement from Sifu last week. He told me that I was progressing well and he wants to move me up to Phase II. This means alot to me as I will then be able to take other classes as well. Kali class or Muay Thai? Decisions , decisions. I like decisions like this, cause its all good.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a bit off the topic, and it will sound like I'm trying to be a bit of a smart a$$, but honestly I'm not. Believe me there is no sarcasm in this post.

The spelling of Escrima, Eskrima really depends on the era of the teacher. In the Philippines pre-Marcos era, actually I think pre Macapagal(I'm not sure it may even be Aquino) the alphabet was the same as the Spanish alphabet. There was no K in that alphabet. Instead just a C. After that time they introduced the Filipino ABAKADA(Alphabet) and replaced native spellings with a K instead of the C.

Both are correct. But for modern Filipino the K is more politically correct. But in Metro Manila still see Escrima spelt with a C. Or other filipino words(like last names spelt both ways, C & K)

This isn't meant to come across smart @$$-ly it's just I actually know about filipiniana.

I think it's just good know more about the culture of something. Consider it trivia knowledge. Nothing personal.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - my teacher, a native of Cebu, goes nuts if he sees "Escrima" and says "No - that is the western spelling - there is No "C" in my country" - Interesting as he comes from "C"ebu and studied under "C"iracoa "C"anete amongst others.

Interesting also is the total lack of the letter "C" in the Tagalog section of my Tagalog-English dictionary.

You've got me thinking now - which is good

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, there are over 80+(I'm being conservative) dialects in the Philippines. Each one different from the other. Your teacher, guessing because he is from Cebu, probably speaks Cebuano, Visayan, and Tagalog. He may even know some more isolated dialects. In northern Luzon the Ilocanos alphabet has no K in at all, it's strictly spanish with the addition of native sounds like the NG sound. Your teacher is more than likely speaking from modern filipino after they erradicated the 'C' from their official alphabet. But names, places, even systems are still spelt otherwise. Ex. Current President Gloria MaCapagal-Arroyo. The spanish were there for 333 years, they left a strong influence. Like you said, Cebu, Cauayan(another city, in your dictionary it's spelt Kawayan and is bamboo), Cotabato in Mindanao, and Cavite in Metro Manila.

Depending on your dictionary,(C.S. English's being the best IMHO) there should be the original spelling of the word before the alphabet change. You've got my attention now. Are you studying tagalog?

On tagalog, a while ago KAY, as in kay ganda, etc. was spelt que ganda, just as the spanish use it. The language is full of spanish influence. Now you can get really deep in tagalog, but very few people speak or understand it that deep.

If you have any questions about spoken tagalog ask me. I'd be glad to answer.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MA

"Your teacher, guessing because he is from Cebu, probably speaks Cebuano, Visayan, and Tagalog" - Yes, he does - I think he speaks 9 in total includinmg English, or what he calls English LOL!

No - I'm not learning Tagalog - just bought the dictionary in an attempt to undferstand a little more - I may do one day though & I'll certainly remember your kind offer. Do you study the Filipino arts too?

On a semi-related issue - I am part of a small private group devoted to stickfighting in as real a manner as we can. I assume you're familiar with the Dog Brothers format? This is what we do. As I said we are a private group that exists just to further our progress without the lure of egos or trophies. We are called the "Pusong Leyon" Stickfighters. I have been told by some that I should seperate the "Puso" and the "Ng" - and by others that they should be combined as "Pusong" - What do you make of that? The name refers both th the spirit in which we fight and also to our English heritage!

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, yes, but under a different light. Sort of in relation to the whole martial art I study.

Puso ng Leyon = The heart of the Lion. Literally.

Pusong Leyon = Heart of a Lion, more emphatically. Like he has the heart of a lion. Strong courage.

It's an english transliteration into Filipino as in Filipino they normally don't say it like that.

Glad to have helped.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops - double post

[ This Message was edited by: YODA on 2002-04-29 01:18 ]

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - "Pusong Leyon" it stays then

Our group motto is "Forged on the anvil of experience" - would that translate well?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: