Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree Phantasmatic they do seem like a very big waste of time.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just makes you look all manly and stuff. If you can go out there and yell really loud while breaking 10 boards, then you are pretty dern cool.

Ive seen black belts actually bend the board towards them for little kids... funny!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhhhhh!
You're not suposed to let them know that!

And as a response to that age old cliche:

True, the board doesn't hit back. However, if you have practiced you techniques to a point where you can go through a number of boards with little effort, then when you use it on an attacker, they won't hit back either.

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there may be pratical implications to breaking however, when you think about the trade off of your time you may realize that you could be doing something better. Sparring I feel would be a better use of time. Granted you already spar, but why not more if it means sacrificing breaking? Sparring is far more practical.

jahred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's some great info on breaking for all who want to see it. this is taken from downey's tae kwon do at http://www.kick.nf.net for all who'd like to check that out.

---

Breaking techniques are not a goal in themselves. They must be part of the total study of the martial
art. They are for the advanced student. They are the means whereby you will perfect your mastery
of the martial art. Breaking techniques produce more accuracy and control then does sparring.
Power, too, comes through the perfection of breaking.

Accuracy, speed and power are the essential for breaking techniques. Your use of accuracy must be
exact; your aim must go through the target and be totally accurate. Properly done, you will know
how effective your strikes are. You know that if your target had been a point on an opponent's
body, you would have shattered it.

Breaking techniques develop confidence. Unless you try full contact at full power and without
protective equipment - a practice I do not recommend - you can never really know how effective
your strikes are in sparring.

Yet weight is not the only factor. No matter how hard you hit something, it will not be damaged if it
is moves with the power of the punch. But if your punch moves faster than the target bounces away
from it, the target has no choice but to break.

It would be stupid to kick an opponent in the thigh and expect his knee to break. You have to focus
your strike exactly on the pressure point. In breaking you have the opportunity and the obligation to
strike an exact spot.

You must learn " Where to strike a target." If you don't hit the right spot on your target, you will be
very aware of it. It simply will not break. Practise " Controlled kicking." It will help you develop
focus.

Some people believe that you should aim for the surface of the target. All materials have flexibility,
some more than others. Bricks bend very little: wood and bones have a great deal of flexibility.
Oddly enough, it is these materials which have the most bend in them that are the hardest to break.
Everything breaks only after it is pushed past the limit of how far it bends. You must have the power
and speed to push to push it past that limit before it has a chance to recover. You must aim for "
Penetration."

You can have weight and speed behind your strikes, but with out concentration you will have neither
focus nor penetration. If your mind is some else where, you concentration wanders and your worries
about injury swim into your thoughts, and you cannot fix your mind on the target. Concern yourself
only with the project at hand . That is a good practice for everything , as well as the martial arts.

Good breaking techniques demand daily practice, concentration focus, confidence and ability. You
must have a good physique and you must have many martial art skills. Then you will find that power,
accuracy and speed are the best elements in the development of extra breaking techniques.

[From old martial arts magazine]

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahred, that is a very good excerpt, but I feel if you really want to impress someone, break a board without touching it!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerstyle18,

How much time are you assuming we dedicate to this aspect of training? I'm not sure about other styles, but we have about an extra 30 min. at the end of each test where we do breaking. There is no "breaking practice" during class. We practice our punching and kicking in the air, and on heavy bags. the breaking at the test is exactly that, testing how good our technique is.

We also dedicate at least 1 1/2 hours a week for sparring. I don't see the conflict in time.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here KSN. We don't "practice" breaking during classes. We have a breaking clinic twice a year, and we break on tests only (other than tournies). We are suposed to be focusing on our technique during class, then if we have good technique when the tests rolls around, we'll have no problem breaking. But then, again, I seen two people last testing date that couldn't break because they lacked technique (and failed), and these two were red belts.

Oh if you like sparring, we spar regularly once a week on our "B" days (step sparring and sparring ...... "A" days are forms and self defense).

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-04-17 10:09 ]

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea how much time you spent on it. I imagine it varies from school to school.

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I.T.F. TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies everyone, and sorry, I didn't realise this topic had been drilled into the ground already.

I guess it's ok that my school doesn't practice breaking...but it does sounds pretty fun.

Anyway, I think I'm pretty content with forms and sparring in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: