Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I.T.F. TKD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of arts nowadays practice breaking wood and brick and the like, but is it neccesary?

My school doesn't practice breaking of any kind, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something important.

My Master is a 7th Degree Blackbelt, and I believe he was taught by a former student of General Choi himself. So I'm wondering if breaking is something important or just an on-the-side sort of thing used to chart progress.

Wasn't breaking originally used to impress Americans and convince them to practice martial arts anyway?

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, I'm new.

Current Hyung: Toi-Gye Hyung
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its been discussed. D'oh!!!!Oh well.

Your not missing out if your school does not break wood, or bricks, or cement blocks, or china vases, or Native-American pottery, or people cars. Breaking wood will not teach you how to be a better martial artist. You are probrably new in the martial art as well as this net forum. However, if anyone enjoys breaking, and I do because its a great experience. The kind of experience when you build a Lego car as a kid and then ram it into a wall an hour later. Destruction and mayhem. Its cool.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking is FUN I love it.

Seriously, it's mainly to test your accuracy and technique. Breaking shows you how to focus on your target. You have to focus on your target or you'll hit your partner's fingers and you won't break. And if your technique isn't good, you won't break. You'll just bounce off the board ...... ouch Been there, done that, and it hurts lol.

Power breaking is used to test your power. Speed breaking is to test your speed. But, again, if your accuracy and technique is off ..... ouch.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking hones in your accuracy in executing techniques, but it also teaches you how to focus through your target. Whatever it is your attempting to break you want to make sure you place your focus point 2-3" past the target itself.

Yes, its fun and impressive, but is it necessary?? Not really.....but that is only my opinion BTW-Welcome!!

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does breaking teach accuracy. The wood isn't going anywhere. Are you planning on possibly missing somehow? Boards don't hit back, but people sure do. Just a thought.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Tiger.

You'll be suprised who misses lol. I have and I've been breaking for a year now. I wasn't focused, and I missed with a side kick (no laughing .... yes I missed on a side kick ).

As far as accuracy goes, it's only a little piece of wood (9 by 12 I think), and with someone's fingers holding it, you have to concentrate on the middle of the board or you'll hit the fingers, not the board (been there, done that, had it happen to me), and you won't break it. That's my experience with it anyways.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-15 19:19, tigerstyle18 wrote:
How does breaking teach accuracy. The wood isn't going anywhere. Are you planning on possibly missing somehow? Boards don't hit back, but people sure do. Just a thought.

You would be amazed at the number of times I have seen students miss the board they were aiming at. Not everone taking a martial art is a gifted athlete. Increased coordination is one of the benefits some gain when training.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, breaking wood is better than breaking bones. It's a test of your strength. I"m sure your fellow tkd classmate wouldn't want u to test your kick on him/her. That's why you use wood!

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Koreantiger.

Good one. I should have thought of that. But you are totally right.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I really do not like breaking boards, I don't see the purpose unless it is just used for self esteem!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: