Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not a competitive individual and am not involved in the ma for competition .... winning or losing. Seems whenever I consider competing ... there is not many in my division (slim pickings to say the least) Several of the women in my school just have to "show up" to get a trophy (that is for the local area comps).... now Atlantic City --- that's the place to compete around here!
But I have to say it is great experience.... start small (local area school / organization comps).

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, tournaments are a great place to observe other martial artists in action and see what the art is doing for them. I'm not a huge fan of tournaments, but I do enjoy seeing how others fight using the same tools as me. Although, I wouldn't discount the value of a tournament just because of the limited number of moves, it's still a good experience.

TKD tournaments gave me some of my worst injuries.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tired of the "it is not a real fight" argument against competition.

Of course it's a real fight. There's a person opposite you and they are trying to hurt you. Every "real" fight is different. In a bar you might not be able to kick at all. You might be on a slick street, so you slip and immediately grapple. You might break your hands and only be able to kick. You will have limitations of some sort no matter where you fight. Competition just sets the parameters of those limitations at the outset.

Unless you are planning on getting arrested for assault competition is the best way to see how your skills hold up during stress. You find out what you need to work on. Most importantly-win or lose- the kind of intense training you do for competition will make you a better MA.

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired too of "it's not a real fight" as well. One of the many reasons I go to tournaments is because I also consider myself a sportsman as well as a martial artist. Being a highschool student, I actually perfer MA over other sports that people say I "should" be involved in.
I go because it just plain fun. More and more, every time I wake up knowing I'm going to a tournament I have the strongest desire to get in that ring and duke it out. These days I live for sparring.
If you want to learn how to defend yourself, study self-defense, not WTF rules.
Still, just as there is no feeling quite like throwing the perfect pitch, or basket, there is no feeling quite like nailing your opponent in the head with a spinning kick in a sparring match.

Naspirated
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shindo Jinen Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of tournaments as a entension of your martial arts training. Yes, some may say it is or is not a so called "real fight", but when individuals compete in martial arts tournaments, it places you in a situation were you must use your training and knowledge to defeat your opponent. No matter what type of tournament you enter: Muay Thai, TKD, Karate, submission, etc....The feeling is much different then regular training. In the dojo you train to better yourself, and if you mess up you learn from your mistakes and you correct yourself as your training progesses. A tournament on the other hand consist of you, judges, your opponent, and probably a whole bunch of people looking at you. The feeling in both situations are different. Your physical abilities may be above and beyond others, however if you cannot be relaxed, focused, and aware of your surroundings in a controlled stressed enviorment (tournament), is it possible for you to handle a real combative situation? You must be able to combine both atheletic ability, and strategy in tournaments. If you can perform well in a tournament, you have experienced something that someone else has not. Is it possible that you have an advantage now because you have learned and seen something that others have not? This is why it may be compelling for you to enter tournaments to gain the experience, and see for yourself how difficult it is for any individual to compete. It's pretty easy to watch the game on the sidelines, but put your self in the shoes of any competitive athelete(martial artist), you'll see a whole new world. My 2 cents.....sorry for the rant

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About "it's not a real fight" ... hmmm well I guess it's kind of a fight though. Yesterday I've received a punch in the face and it hurted when I tried to eat. Also I had the wind out of my stomach, or how you call it I've deliverred some serious attacks though. The person sparring with me is my instructor (sensei's assistant). She received a similar treatment We used "reasonable" force. We were using gloves and the techniques weren't performed full power. We got hit more serious because we were attacking at the same time BUT we are also friends and decided we won't kill each other. In tournament it's kinda different. They don't kill you, but everybody wants to win, so their tecniques won't be as light as when it comes to sparr with a friend. They want to hurt you, guest it's a fight then
Just a thought ...

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think tourney's are awesome. You learn how well you are against people the same rank as you and you just get so pumped up when you get a point esp. when it is the 5th one b/c that means you have won. either way if you win or lose you have still won b/c many people won't get out there and see what they have learned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should enter a torn. because you want to have fun. that is the main reason behind competing. It is a good tool to test your skills in a "sport" environment against other opponents. Just go and have fun. It is a great motivational tool because you'll see people from various styles (if it's an open torn) and different skill levels. Seeing the higher ranks compete can be a great way to keep yourself motivated to train harder and give yourself some goals to attain.

Pete
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: