Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sparky
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Improving grip Reply with quote

I have been learning how to joint lock a wrist from both a natural and unnatural grab. The first thing to do is to pin the attacking hand with your free hand. My thing is I need to build more strength in my palm to pin and keep that hand pinned. Any ideas?

I have been looking for those destress balls....you know the ones that you squeeze to keep from hitting people . My instructor suggested using one to improve my grip. I haven't been able to find one lately in the stores.

Rachael

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was just talking about this. I found this http://www.karate-mart.com/eaglecatcher.html also go into like a shop-ko over by the fitness stuff is and look for those little squuezer things they look like a piece of metal wrapped aroud so that there is a ring at the top and basically it provides tension for you to sqeeze it's suposed to improve grip, i think weight lifters use them so thaty can get a good grip on the bars.

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just found this link with some good exercises for grip.

robwilliams
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan & TKD (ITF)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheap hand grip from K-Mart. The brand name ones do not have a spring quite as strong as my cheap no brand version. I have 2 - one lives in my car so I can use it on commutes. The other near the TV so I can watch TV and strengthen my wrists and forearms at the same time.
I tend to do between 10 - 20 reps per set, swapping wrists each set. The last rep of each set, I try to hold the grip closed for up to 10 secs.
I've been doing this a long time now and have increased the power of my grip a HUGE amount.
The sping clips mentioned by BKJ1216 are actually designed to hold weights on the weight bar, so they are not really designed for wrist exercise. They are the same basic shape, though, but lack the shaped grips for the fingers.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very simple hand workout that requires no equipment is to simply open your hand and extend all the fingers wide. Then close the fist. Start slow and build up time and speed. This is something that can be done while you are just sitting in front of the tv.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: