Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Improving my staff technique Reply with quote

This is me doing form one with a bong. I was being weird at the end, but I was just happy my staff came in the mail. Here is the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Rae9EOB4U&feature=youtu.be (I'm a girl, just to clarify)

I want to improve my technique.
Thanks!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I commend you for the courage it takes to create a video of yourself in efforts to open yourself to critique from others.

There's two main things that I see that would improve your technique. One, work on getting your stances more solid. You want your stances so you have total, complete control of your center of gravity. Solid stances are the foundation of good MA, whether you're empty handed or swinging a weapon. Also, solid stances/control of your center are key for the next thing I see...

Two, work on being able to move the bo/bong with the core of your body, not your arms. The core of your body (where your center is) moves the weapon and gives you power; your arms simply hold on and guide it to the target. Learn to turn your hips to move the bo/bong; your hip turns will engage your whole body, which will move the bo/bong around your center with your arms guiding it.

Again, solid stances are key; they enable control of your center, which is crucial for whole-body movement/power generation.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credo Te gives some good advice. I would add, to help your stances - run through the form without the Bo/Bong. Repeat the individual moves that make up the form, in order,as you would drill basics. So, first move 10 times. second move 10 times - stepping into your stance each time. And so on through the form. Key, were moves repeat - repeat them. Don't think, well I've done that one already. Keep up the good work.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the others here. Really work on engaging your hips with your movements, like you would with your empty hand movements. andym's idea of really breaking things down will help you a lot; its a great training tool to use, and one of the simplest ones to use.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe hits the nail on the head, especially with the mention of using your core to move the bo. Get this down, and you will feel less awkward with the weapon in your hand. Confidence is key when you're using a weapon so I would definitely just keep practicing at it. The more you practice, the better the weapon will feel. Thanks for sharing!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
First, I commend you for the courage it takes to create a video of yourself in efforts to open yourself to critique from others.

This. Thanks for sharing, FangPwnsAll7.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it over and over and over........................so that it will just flow naturally, and without any unnecessary pauses. Work the hips, and know when to utilize them properly. Snap isn't always correct because it tends to jerk, and jerking unbalances posture.

Pay attention to what you're doing and stop looking at the camera continually because it makes you appear that you're not familiar with said

Be one with the bo!

Ninja Mom
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate, Shuri Ryu Karate, Traditional Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!

First off, I'm also female, been practicing traditional okinawan kobudo for 4 years... my advice to you is:

1) Slow your form down. Focus on your imaginary target, break it down into segments, work that segment until you are comfortable, then add.

2) Really feel your foundation. I noticed you had your heel off the floor a few times, for good solid technique, use your body as you would in normal life. If proceeding forward in a walking gait, do you put your foot high in the air... try to get the natural motion of YOUR own body mechanics to propel you forward.

3) Find a bigger work space, outside in your yard, in your garage... with room to make mistakes, I train in my back yard, in a section that is obscured from neighbors. Work out all your kinks without the judgemental eyes and distractions.

4) Holding of your bo staff - visually split the bo into 3 sections, hold in the two sections that separate.... Equal parts.

5) Start small - learn some blocks, thrusting jabs, which then turns into free exercises.

6) Never give up... practice every day... check out youtube videos, specific ones to look for are, instructional kobudo bo videos... the fancy flair will come as you gain experience.

The flair at the end.. .the figure eights... hold the bo staff not in the middle, hold it higher to your 1/3 location, and use your hips to govern the rotation of the bo...

Wishing you much fun in your future training... remember there will be bad days and good days, just remember, you're out there giving it a go, and that's all that matters...

Vicky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: