Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoothJ9 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
A walking cane comes to mind.

A wooden one with some weight to it could certainly cause some damage.

Likewise one of the full size umbrellas

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
BoothJ9 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
A walking cane comes to mind.

A wooden one with some weight to it could certainly cause some damage.

Likewise one of the full size umbrellas
Agreed. I think an umbrella might not be as sturdy as a cane, but the training could translate, especially if they have that hook for the grip.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I've always wondered with the belt... How are you going to get it off fast enough? And I feel like then my trousers would fall down making it even harder to run away

Humor aside, this is a pretty good point to consider. When the adrenaline dumps, fine motor skills go out the window, which could leave one fumbling with their belt buckle for too long, instead of actively trying to defend with both hands.

I would say that if someone is even considering using their belt as an improvised weapon, then much like with carrying a handgun concealed, one needs to practice actually deploying the weapon in order to become efficient at it. Just having it isn't actually enough.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, and literally, just about ANYTHING can be used as a self-defense weapon.

When I was teaching, a couple of times a year we'd do a street clothes class walking out about town. We walk the main street, alleys, parks and empty lots.

I'd talk as we walked about "what ifs this or that", stop and ask my students what they see that they might be able to use if they were in a fight.

The obvious would be sticks and stones, but I wanted them to expand their thoughts.

For example, a telephone/light pole.

WHAT???

You can put that between you and your opponent and make them come around it to get to you, thus giving you an advantage as you're waiting and ready for it.

Sitting at a table and the person across from you gets aggressive and reaches out. You have salt/pepper shakers that make good weapons, toss napkins in their face, squirt mustard/ketchup/TABASCO in their eyes, etc.

The possibilities are really endless if you just open your eyes and teach your mind to think differently.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about anything I can find in my cars trunk?? Oh wait, how about anything found in my trucks bed; always goodies there abound. Sure, the cars trunk has to be close and already opened, whereas the truck just needs to be close.

I do really like Montana's post about the telephone/light pole suggestion because it has a lot of effectiveness about it.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: The next time you're sitting at your computer, look around you. What could you use to defend yourself?

At a restaurant?

Gym?

Bar/pub?

Walking down the street or in a store?

Literally anywhere, take a moment and get your mindset into defending yourself if you had to. What could you use?

As I sit at my computer typing this there is a lamp over the desk, ceramic cup, couple of AA batteries, printer, pens/pencils, books, backpack, reams of paper, framed pictures on the wall, VHS/CD on the shelf, chairs, etc. It's all about mindset and adapting your way of thinking and looking at things.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: