Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rs-Apocolypse
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone, i was wondering if one of you guys could help me. Im 17 now, when i was little (ages 9-10 1/2) i studied shotocan. Now i want to get back into martial arts. I want a style that is mostly arms and not so much legs, and more offensive. Im 6'4 and thin. Is there a style out there that will fit this?

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're new, they'll probably let this slide
Just so you know, questions like these go under "General Martial Arts". When they say "Questions, Comments..." they mean relating to the site and message board system itself.
Getting to your question. Traditional Karate is a good style that uses mostly hands and nearly no kicks. However, keep an open mind to kicking. Unless you have a medical reason for not wanting to use your legs, having a well-balanced body can be very useful. I study what I like to call "Modern-American Tae Kwon Do". We call ourselves a karate studio, but karate is a generic term. We use mostly TKD with blending of krav maga, judo, kung fu, etc. I love this style.
Most people on here (including myself!) will tell you that their style is the best. Just make sure you keep in mind what you want to achieve from martial arts, listen to their descriptions, and see if the two match.
Good luck!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KarateForums Rs-Apocolypse .... I will move your post to the proper forum.
Suggest that you visit the schools in your area offering martial arts instruction and determine what style is best for you. You may get ideas here as to what style you may have interest in .... but schools differ in so many ways. No kicks? How about a boxing gym??

Rs-Apocolypse
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for moving the post. No i don't mind kicks, but i would rather have more punches. Like 70% punches 30% kicks, something around there.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I suggest that you do check out the martial arts offered in your area. If there are more than one style offered, ie. Japanese/Okinawan karate, Korean karate, American kenpo, Traditional kenpo, or any Jujitsu flavored dojos, go in and observe and then speak to the instructor(s), students, and parents.

See if any offer a free lesson, or something like $30 for 30 days deal. This will give you a chance to work out with the dojo, and give you an idea as to your preference.

Hope this is helpful.

Ai Hate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-13 07:03, Rs-Apocolypse wrote:
Thanks for moving the post. No i don't mind kicks, but i would rather have more punches. Like 70% punches 30% kicks, something around there.

training kicks is a good way to strengthen your legs and balance.. important stuff..
an easier way: train and focus on punches on your own

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional karate is mostly hand work, with supplemental kicks.

I think most modern styles incorporate more kicks, but you still get nifty hand work, plus interesting strikes like knife hands, back-fists, ridge hands, hammer blows as well as the traditional fist.

Noone tells you how many kicks to throw when sparring or competition...

I believe Wing Chun is also fairly hand oriented. Jujutsu if you want to incorporate grappling.

Then there's always boxing...

Probably to avoid would be Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, White Crane Kung-Fu, and modern high flying WuShu.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would do some sort of Okinawan karate of Japanese Karate IMHO.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: