Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you what the most important part of your body that you do not want to be hit in???

For me It would be the Nose And Eyes Or close to them. That I protect the most since I wouldn't want a broken nose or a bad eye or eyes

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole body. Getting hit is humiliating. Train so that no one can touch you!

Impossible?

Naaa takes years of intense training

Think about the vast difference in skill between a good 1st Dan to a beginner and then the vast difference between a 5th Dan and an untrained person.

An untrained person cannot get near a 5th Dan

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-02-18 00:21 ]

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in agreement Anondude...

5th dans don't have eyes in the back of their heads and some people are just natural fighters.

Hell, i got smacked up the other day by two guys that probably didn't have any training and i'm close enough to equivalent 2nd/3rd dan in freestyle kickboxing... i say that based purely on the amount of time i've spent training in the martial arts...

Angus

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head and groin, followed by knees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Angus

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no such thing as a natutal fighter, they are either trained or untrained.

But I am talking about a good traditional Japanese school trained Karate-Ka.

Of course I know there are alot of very poor schools that produce very poor students and this is regrettable. They poor schools give the public a false idea of real Karate

Some people may be aggressive etc but that doesnt make them a good fighter. Training and intense training is the only key to developing skills. Look at top class boxers training programmes, they are intense. No one can win without intense training. Look at the Special Forces in the Armies of the world, they must be intensely trained. No one has a natural ability to run a marathon in 2 hours and 5 minutes or so, it takes intense training.

I would place my money on a trained man anyday. When I was in Japan for a year in 1982 I met tiny little guys that were but 5 feet tall that were nothing but outright lethal. My own teacher who is now 9th Dan is a scrawny little dude and very slim and I would hate to see what happened to any 'natural' fighter that would be stupid enough to attack him.

It is well known, when you study it, that Bruce Lee was pretty average at martial arts in his formitive days, but when he started his intense training and study he developed himself in an incredible way.

The human body can only move at certain speeds and exert certain forces of destructive power but with intense training they can eventually punch at 65 feet per second and exert tremendous destructive power as well as develop super fast eye body co-ordination, timing, balance and endurance, all the key factors needed for competant skills.

Over all these years I have seen many many guys come to the Dojo who claim to be great fighters only to be humiliated by guys/gals who are far smaller and less aggressive. They never stay long.

I think woman are an excellent example of what training will do. They are naturally less aggressive and not a strong as men but with training they become very competant.

I have met some pretty tough dudes in my time. Big, mean, aggresive and not one would I place my money on against a trained person.

But as I said, it does depend on the extent of training and the way one is trained. Our school is pretty brutal in its training and other schools like Gojuryu and Shotokan (the ones down here anyway) really train you hard. But some people cant hack this and go off to schools that arent really bonefide who train under teachers who tickle their ears rather than train them in the way that is needed. Its these students that get flattened in a street fight and conclude the martial arts dont work. This is cause for severe regret.

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-02-18 11:59 ]

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I am sure that such intense training would greatly enhance the odds of somebody overcoming an attacker in the vast majority of all conflict-based situations.

However, like Angus said, no amount of hard training will give you eyes in the back of your head despite so-called claims of a 'sixth sense' and the ability to sense who and what is going on around you (although there is some truth and credibility to refining and heightening your level of awareness). Intense training will get you very far, so far that you could pummel 99% of all street thugs in any fair fight. But in real life there is no such thing as a fair fight. If someone wants to beat the crap out of you, he won't care if he has to grab 10 of his drinking buddies and take you down from behind, or even put a bullet in your back of your head from 100 yards away late at night when you are not looking. It is my assumption that there is no real technique to defend against that, even if you are preparing for your 15th Dan test and you train even when you are sleeping. You will never be untouchable. There is no such thing as long as you are human. Room for error, no matter how marginal, is still room for error.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my country you only have to worry about knives and such like. Having a gun here is near impossible. Even the Police dont carry them (accept for a special few).

I agree defense against a gun is not good odds nor is some weapons that can be thrown from a distance, but I wasnt talking about weapons at all, never mentioned that.

I was assuming a one on one weaponless fight.

I have been involved in training our Special Army Forces (SAS) here in support of my Sensei 9th Dan. Hand to hand and self defence against weapons is part of what we teach them. Their needs in training is critical and they dont play games when they attack!

I have had many of them start playing games when we use wooden knives for safety reasons . So the only solution is to put them in their place by bringing out a real knive and ask them to attack you with full force. Then you reverse the role by attacking them with a real knife. They soon get serious.

I am very confident in my skills at dealing with weapons but as for a gun, never blocked a bullet myself hehe. The only solution is to get close and get them off guard. If they fire the gun from a distance you have no chance.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that never fails to amaze me is how often an untrained yellow belt can surprise the crap out of a black belt (name a dan, any dan) simply because of the fact that they are untrained. They won't do what you might see an expert fighter to do because they don't fight like an expert. That doesn't mean that they can't fight though, and often they'll do something that you'd never expect. One of the many reasons why an untrained fighter could beat an expert. Nobody is invincible and no matter how good you are, there is always someone who's better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: