Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Initial difficulties Starting Martial Arts Reply with quote

The initial difficulties starting out in martial arts can be very overwhelming.

Growing pains, moments of confusion and tension can run high.

New things often times bring new troubles to deal with, also a chance to learn and grow is also present.

This is a time for perseverance and working on your goal...the pressure is on!!!

This is also a time to work with others and not against them, overcoming obstacles no matter how high or wide they seem.

With persistentence difficulties can be overcome, this is the way of advancement and success, nothing worthwhile comes without a fight.

This is a time to handle things with due care and attention, treading carefully and not recklessly.

Accepting help is part of the learning process, also following and being guided in the steps of others who have been where you want to go, are worth while working with, keeping you on the right track towards your goal.

Consider strategies and resources that will help you on your martial art journey, nothing complicated in the beginning, only things that help you to achieve your goal.

Communicate and share with others, often times it is the person standing next to you, that can help you understand what you ate doing right and or wrong, perhaps they have some insights on how to do techniques more efficient and effective than yourself.

What are or were your initial difficulties when first starting out as a martial artist?

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexibility, which I still struggle with.
And I am convinced that the first kata I ever learnt was the hardest to learn. (Taikyoku Sona Ichi)

Then add in learning all the japanese names of the techniques etc, plenty of smoke coming out of the ears!

Repetition, repetition, repetition!!! Was the answer then and still is now.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
And I am convinced that the first kata I ever learnt was the hardest to learn. (Taikyoku Sona Ichi)

Then add in learning all the japanese names of the techniques etc, plenty of smoke coming out of the ears!

Thank you Bulltahr for being the first to share your thoughts.

If I can suggest regarding struggling with flexibility, if the way you are doing things causes you an internal conflict or struggle, then this is a time for a change, for the better.

Personally I love stretching, it isn't a job or a chore, I love it because how it makes me feel.

As my attitude towards stretching is enjoyable, I become more flexible as a result, collateral elasticity is a good a way as any to describe it.

By using a physio-ball, the ones used for sitting on are great for opening the hips with and gaining flexibility.

I use a few pillows on top of a physio ball and sit on it, all the while activating as many joints in my body as possible, it is a terrific limbering up device.

Then coaxing my muscles to stretch by practicing stretching by reaching and telling the muscles internally to relax and sleep, still using the ball.

These are just a few favorite tips, things that I like and enjoy doing, hope they can be of some use to you, as they are for me.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:

Are you sure you didn’t tap my brain and steal my post before I could write it?

Taikyoku 1 was by far the hardest kata for me to learn. It took me a solid month before I could do that kata without anyone telling me which direction to move. Then coordinate the blocks and punches with each step?

For reference, I had Seiunchin memorized in about 2 nights. It didn’t look pretty, but I knew what to do. I was completely clueless when I learned Taikyoku 1.

I tell all the new students white belt is the most difficult rank. EVERYTHING is new - stances, blocks, punches, kicks. Heck, even how to talk (Japanese terms) is completely new.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One almost continuous difficulty is learning to move in ways that are usually not comfortable, and very awkward until the body builds up enough strength in the right places to get stability and fluidity.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't an athlete (and still am not one), so it seemed like everything was difficult. I wasn't fast, and I wasn't very flexible. It was a tough go for a while, it seemed like. But, perseverance pays off.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 7 years old when I first started taking Shindokan; I believe that's enough said!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
- John Quincy Adams

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already 42 y.o. when I started my first MA (kickboxing) and yes I had problem with general athletism and flexibility (due to age and long period of inactivity) and gradually and not completelely I overcame these problems. Now that I'm 56 and I re-started after 5 years of stop I have the same kind of problems... and still the confidence I will overcome them... oh well I choose an art (wing chun) where this problems are not a big issue but this somehow part of the game.. chosing the right art according to your tastes and physical capabilities too.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stability and coordination were probably my biggest initial struggles I'd say.

The opposite of a low-flexibility problem, I have above average range of motion on most of my joints. As a beginner, I felt like it took me longer than the others to figure out the right positions and path of movement if for no other reason than because I had more options to choose from. Also, instructors try to tell beginners what a good stance "feels like", but these feelings can vary from person to person, especially for someone with weird joints.

For example, I've heard many people say that in a proper kibadachi I should feel pressure on my knees pushing outward and pressure on my toes pushing inward. If I use this feeling to set my stance, my knees go outside of my feet in a contorted position before I feel any kind of pressure. This is not a good stance. When I put my body into a proper kibadachi position I don't feel pressure at all, I actually feel relaxed. When my body is in alignment like that, it actually takes some of the normal walking strain off of my joints. To me, a good stance feels more like a joint relief than a strain or pressure. It is more of a muscular position than walking though, to be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: