Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas was a great man but IMO not the most important by any means. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but would things have turned out the same without him? I'll venture to say yes.

Douglas himself said John Brown was much more important in regards to abolition. Wendell Phillips, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thadius Stevenson, Julia Ward Howe, Charles Sumner, William Lloyd Garriaon, Dread Scott, Daniel Webster, William Seward are all much less famous who played a huge part in abolition

If Douglas had not been a runaway slave, do you think he would be as famous than those listed? I do not mean that in a racist tone by any means But those list d above moved the public bar to where the anti-slavery movement really had a platform both politically but more so emotionally.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95champ wrote:
Douglas was a great man but IMO not the most important by any means. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but would things have turned out the same without him? I'll venture to say yes.

Douglas himself said John Brown was much more important in regards to abolition. Wendell Phillips, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Thadius Stevenson, Julia Ward Howe, Charles Sumner, William Lloyd Garriaon, Dread Scott, Daniel Webster, William Seward are all much less famous who played a huge part in abolition

If Douglas had not been a runaway slave, do you think he would be as famous than those listed? I do not mean that in a racist tone by any means But those list d above moved the public bar to where the anti-slavery movement really had a platform both politically but more so emotionally.

To the bold: I don't see the relevance of this, as this is not the case. Besides, Douglas was very supportive of women's rights, as well. To be a recently-freed slave then going against the grain on another important social issue? I call that EXTREMELY noble and brave.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The revelance is we needed a black hero in the civil war. Not saying he is not deserving but does his actions, deeds, and bravery exceede the others I listed?

My answer is no but your free to disagree.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

Let's reset. This thread is about members sharing people they personally view as inspirational from history. Some of the folks you list may not be of any inspiration to me at all, people I find inspirational may not inspire you.

This thread is not for us to try to pick them apart to decide who is more inspired and who is most inspirational. Let's move forward with that understanding, starting from this reply. Thank you.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Steele52
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barack Obama and Mahatma Gandhi.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee, Myomoto Musashi, Lao Tsu, Mahammad Ali.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: