Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lioness
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Instructor Training Requirements Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what it takes to become an Instructor? How long in training? Must you be a black belt to start teaching? Can you assist under a Master, or a black belt to start getting the experience? Also, what can one expect salary-wise in this field? I'm currently taking Tang Soo Do, I test for my Green Belt in 2 weeks. I'm loving every minute learning this art form and want to explore the option of teaching it. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Lioness

Trust the process.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking one must progress through the rank of black belt to become an instructor. At a certain grade, or level of training, you can be required to start on your teaching hours(kinda like an internship for becoming an instructor).

So dojos also have a certification program that they put their black belt instructors through to "certify" them as being able to teach. As far as pay goes, that is all up to the person you will work for. It also depends if you decide to open and run your own program.

A friend of mine who frequents this forum was once a professional instructor, and I recall at one time he was making around $25,000 a year.

One last thing, welcome to the forum

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation goes like this: I'm not a black belt. I don't "technically" teach. BUT I do help my instructor with some beginners classes, and with our after school TKD program (for 12 years and under). I do get paid for it.

I can't "officially" teach till I reach black belt. But since I'm an adult, I can make sure the kids behave, and teach lower ranks (than me) what they need to know for tests and stuff. I just can't test them (till BB). I also help with drills, forms, start class, ect.

It can be fun. I learn from the kids and they learn from me as an adult. It's totally cool I love my job

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructor Training Requirements Reply with quote

Lioness wrote:
Can someone tell me what it takes to become an Instructor? How long in training? Must you be a black belt to start teaching? Can you assist under a Master, or a black belt to start getting the experience? Also, what can one expect salary-wise in this field? I'm currently taking Tang Soo Do, I test for my Green Belt in 2 weeks. I'm loving every minute learning this art form and want to explore the option of teaching it. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Lioness

Being able (certified?) to teach will vary from system to system, so the best place to get your answers is from your instructor.

However, this is what I do in the system that I practice.

I believe that in order to teach (your own dojo), you should have at LEAST a 1st degree black belt...PERIOD! Any less than that, and I would think that you aren't fully versed in enough techniques, and mostly EXPERIENCE (very important) to pass the fundamentals of your system on to others.

I have been teaching classes since September of 1978 (longer than many of you have been alive I think). You needs LOTS of patience to teach martial arts.

To prepare my students to teach, when they get their 1st of 3 possible brown belts, I have them start to teach basics to new students, including the first kata. I also will have them take lower students aside if need be to help them with something specific that I feel needs improvement, and they aren't getting it in the classroom environment.

When a student reaches his first degree BB, I consider them an assistant instructor (not paid). If for some reason I am unable to make class (very rare occurance), then they are expected to take over the class and teach it. I don't expect them to teach the class as I would, but rather let them teach what they want to teach. I then will ask them the next time I see them..."How did it go? Questions/problems?"

As for pay...no, I don't pay my students to teach, as I consider taking over my class or working with junior students as part of their ongoing training to prepare them someday for their own classes.

Last edited by Shorinryu Sensei on Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually its not the rank you wear that allows you teach but your ability to explain it to others. Ive saw blue belts do better teaching than 2nd Dans.

Lioness
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Response to my question on Qualifications for Instruction Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I appreciate your feedback and insight.

I'll speak with my instructor. I had a feeling that one needed to be a BB prior to being an instructor.

Pacificshore, thanks for the welcome!

Lioness

Trust the process.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i agree with G95Champ. "Usually its not the rank you wear that allows you teach but your ability to explain it to others."

RobinT830
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu; Yamanni Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the rank, I have definitely seen some great things coming from Blue and Brown Belts.

What we do at our dojo, is once you become a certain rank, you apply to become a STORM member (Super Team Of Role Models) and you sign up for a class to assist with. When you first start out, you are a Role Model. Helping to make the class run smoother by assisting a student who may be struggling with a technique; getting up next to a student and doing the technique as best as you can with lotsof energy and enthusiasm to bring them up. After you are comfortable with that you can move into working with smaller sub-groups of the class, then onto doing warm-ups and small 10 minute portions of the class as your teaching skills grow. We also have a 10 week leadership course that we take to graduate us to assistant instructors.

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haedong Gumdo, Kyuk Too Ki, and any Korean Styles I learn from training with others

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructor's position is hard ot obtian in my school. First a 1st dan is not eligible because lack of expereince, granted he has been doing it for so many years and achieved a balck belt but he has to understnad the principles of teaching. The master chooses 3 of the most qualified 1st dan to go through Instructor training. This usually includes classes on understnading how to teach, what to teach & when to teach. They must go through rigorous training. The philosophy behind the training is that is you ask your students to do 1 thing you must do it 10 times. They must understand the defining elements of everysingle technique and form movement. Once 2nd dan they are official instrucotrs after having all these classes. Its like a cycle once the 1st dan move to 2nd dan , the 2nd dan instrucotrs move to 3rd dan and begin the training needed to become a master, this includes school management, priciples behind each technique plus new techniques, creation of techniques derived form basic principles, Ki Specailization, Accupuncure & accupressure with massage training. The 3rd dan dont realy teach they are focuses on their master training that is what 2nd dan instrucotrs are for to help the master.
International Haedong Gumdo Federation
Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: