Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

reddragonkaratecrewe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: instructor training Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm one of 3 dan grades at a new independent club. We have everything in place (insurances, first aid, safeguarding etc), but I've been asked about instructor training.

I've read posts and articles about the pro's and con's of it and wanted your opinions, is it worth it?

Myself and another dan grade have got -
First aid training (I'm an instructor)
Safeguarding certificates (again I'm a safeguard trainer)
PTTLS (QCF as it's now know) so have a basic teaching qualification
We do lesson plans
Club advertising and finances
Minimum of 12 years karate training each

Is there anything else that we would need? seems pointless to spend money on a certificate to cover what we already have in place, minus a certificate.

thanks in advance

www.reddragonkarate.co.uk

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, who is it that has asked about instructor training?

Sounds like you have pretty much everything set up that you need, are you affiliated to an organisation? If so they may offer some kind of coaching course which doesn't hurt. When I start up my club I went along and got a national coaching award from the organisation I was part of. I had already had instructor training from the previous club that I was part of, but it was good for the experience.

depends what training and awards you have already done, but my advice at the start is to get as much as you can that is on offer, help build up your experience and become more recognised in the martial art community.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

reddragonkaratecrewe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is usually covered on an instructors course?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine what is covered would vary greatly depending on the school. The school I got my BB at had us sit down and essentially went over what the CI expected out of us with our instruction. Mostly, it was a recap; he just explained how he taught us the things we knew. It all depends on what you want out of your instructors. I would just give them your expectations.

It seems that your list would be a perfect starting point. I don't think you necessarily need to go into finances and things like that for someone who is just an instructor, but having them first aid certified, or CPR certified is a pretty smart step. You could even get certified to certify people and cut out the middle man.

I am not sure which certificate you are talking about having extra of, but if you are speaking towards the FA and CPR certificates then it's useful to have all instructors certified. You never know who will and will not be at the school, and it's good to have your instructors informed on proper technique and care of an injured student.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

reddragonkaratecrewe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zaine. I am a first aid trainer so I will be training our dan grades and students in first aid and safeguarding.

Basically we've been bad mouthed by a petty club stating that we werent "instructor trained" , from the sound of it this isnt actually worth it as long as we're covered with first aid etc and we have enough experience to be able to teach safely.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, an Instructors Course covers both the Technicality of the style as well as the Administrative side, from 'A' to 'Z', and back. Teaching an instructor how to teach...how to mirror...refining the instructors technicality, to name just a few. How to pass on the fundamentals and techniques they have mastered, ensuring that karate’s highest tradition lives on!!

Not all black belts can teach, nor should they!!

The instructors are the representatives of the style. So, careful Instructor Training candidate selections are at the core of its success...and its failure.

Strict adherence, to even the smallest detail, consists of a complete zero tolerance; graduation from our Instructor Training program, on an average, only has about a 2 out of 10 success ratio on an average...many attend, very few pass.

Ever train in a full blown raging fire?? That's what an Instructor Training Program is like!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddragonkaratecrewe wrote:
What is usually covered on an instructors course?

Depends on your organization. Ours requires you to go through a three day class on everything from harassment classes to the law to insurance to what is expected of us, life safety and first aid, etc. etc. You have five classes a day and at the end of the third day you are given a test. This covers the organization to some degree, at least legally and insurance wise to allow you to teach.

The actual certification comes over a time period of being watched instructing classes, teaching senior Dan grades, taking a written and physical test, and finally if you pass the rest, testing in front of the board of instructors. Once completed you are awarded your teaching license and title.

Can I ask what organization, federation, association you belong to? What grade/rank are you?

I am assuming that you do not belong to an organization if you do not already know your organizations requirements of you are not of a sufficient grade to test. Please don't take this as an insult. Most traditional schools will not allow anyone to teach on their own until the reach Sandan.

If you are in fact a Sandan and do not have an organization for some reason you don't necessarily need a teaching license to teach. I know a few very good instructors that left their organization years ago and produce very proficient students.

A license only means that your organization says you are qualified to teach. Not that you can teach. If it meant that, a lot of instructors would never have become instructors as not everyone is cut out to teach no matter how skilled and knowledgeable.

What style of Martial Art do you teach?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: instructor training Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm one of 3 dan grades at a new independent club. We have everything in place (insurances, first aid, safeguarding etc), but I've been asked about instructor training.

I've read posts and articles about the pro's and con's of it and wanted your opinions, is it worth it?

Myself and another dan grade have got -
First aid training (I'm an instructor)
Safeguarding certificates (again I'm a safeguard trainer)
PTTLS (QCF as it's now know) so have a basic teaching qualification
We do lesson plans
Club advertising and finances
Minimum of 12 years karate training each

Is there anything else that we would need? seems pointless to spend money on a certificate to cover what we already have in place, minus a certificate.

thanks in advance

www.reddragonkarate.co.uk

Yes instructor training is worth while, I recently completed one this past weekend. You can attend ones that are designed by your Government because they will cover what you need to know additionally with information regarding policies.

Here in Australia we have the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS), which covers:
- Harrassment
- Consent
- Coaching
- Communication
- Learning Styles
- Legal Information
- And a few others.

For us it to allow us to have some accountability and that we have been trained to teach/coach with specifics whilst following the law.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically we've been bad mouthed by a petty club stating that we werent "instructor trained" , from the sound of it this isnt actually worth it as long as we're covered with first aid etc and we have enough experience to be able to teach safely.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. If that is how another club does business, then ignore them. Focus on making sure that you're club is running well. If it gets to the point of slander/libel, get a lawyer. Otherwise, just continuing doing the best you can.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that your with IMASA? they are running a coaching workshop certificated course next month, if it isn't too far from you it might be worth a look, I am thinking of going myself, just to keep up to date with health and safety and child safeguarding advice, just an idea, obviously its not a compulsory thing to do but could be of interest...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: