Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
It cannot hurt a CI to have knowledge of other styles to contrast what is being taught; especially with the basics of punching, kicking and blocking.

Theory and tactics of other styles is always useful to know.

I agree. I think that phrase "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none" gets throne about too much in reference to learning Martial Arts, and especially when cross-training. Someone can be great at several different arts. Learning how to grapple will not make one worse at TKD.[/quote]

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Yes, students should refer questions to the CI the most. However, with kids, especially the beginning students, the CI is that big bad scary monster that you, as a kid, sure don't want to get near.

If this is the case, then I think something is wrong. If the head instructor isn't perceived as approachable to the students, then that seems odd to me. We send our kids to schools in a society where we expect them to be able to approach the teachers and ask them questions, and I would expect the same out of the head instructor of a Martial Arts school that I would send my kids to.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, the CI should always be approachable to students, parents and anyone else that needs to ask questions or voice positive or negative comments.

Knowing why other styles do what they do, is also helpful to know, if the need arises, to defend against them.

While sparring in TKD and change style stances.

A Muay Thai stance can also help with momentarily distracting the opponent, then switch to a karate ready position can confuse them further; Wing Chun or JKD work just as well.

It's fun to do occasionally but it's no joke for the opponent.

To show and explain why the "Ready position" in other MA styles differs from your own is helpful, for the simple reason of being exposed to something, that they have never seen or experienced; to take away the "fear of the unknown" factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: