Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore just fired its Chief of Police due to the fact he was spending the money from the pension fund. DC's chief is under investigation for running prostitutes. Sigh!
As for the "punched, spit on, kicked, maced, verbally abused, shot at, etc...." I have gotten all that in 18 yrs. of EMS, too. There is a reason I'm an academic now!

Yukimi Ajikuro
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan (Kobayashi) Shorin-ryu karate-do, Kendo, Iaido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...this is all very interesting, thank you for the topic.
“Like everyone else, you want to learn the way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying.” BL

Wado Guy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the security officer was pullling your chain a bit. I'm not aware of a state that actually says you have to inform your attacker of your martial arts experience.

If anything, saying something that preposterous to someone who wants to knock your block off, it will open up more conversation between the two parties. Maybe you could both talk yourself out of the whole thing.

Oh yeah...that...and...uh...there's probably a reason why the security gaurd is no longer an officer of the law.

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MMA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich67 wrote:
So before you criticize a cop for the job he does, remember that without policemen the world would be a real unruly, ugly place. You have them to thank when you sleep soundly at night and they are awake and patrolling or investigating while you are sleeping.
I'm off my soap box now.

never criticized a thing

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Guy wrote:
I believe the security officer was pullling your chain a bit. I'm not aware of a state that actually says you have to inform your attacker of your martial arts experience.

If anything, saying something that preposterous to someone who wants to knock your block off, it will open up more conversation between the two parties. Maybe you could both talk yourself out of the whole thing.

Oh yeah...that...and...uh...there's probably a reason why the security gaurd is no longer an officer of the law.

Yes, This subject was bought up in our Self Defense Class 20 years ago.
We had bought in Policemen to speak upon the matter.
On rotation in our SD class, we always bought in other professionals:
Lawyers, Doctors, Pyschologists, and other Martial Art instructors from other style/schools.

Some security guards are "Rent-A-Cops". Or Cop-Wanna-Be's"

Oni
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wing Chun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if somebody attacks you then you should be able to use what MA training you have learnt to defend yourself.

If however you are say in a bar or club and someone wants to fight you tell them that you are trained in certain MA and could hurt them.

someone said in a earlier post that you shoudln't do this because women don't say they have pepper spray right women don't say that but in telling that person it might make them think twice about starting fights.

Oni
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wing Chun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if somebody attacks you then you should be able to use what MA training you have learnt to defend yourself.

If however you are say in a bar or club and someone wants to fight you tell them that you are trained in certain MA and could hurt them.

someone said in a earlier post that you shoudln't do this because women don't say they have pepper spray right women don't say that but in telling that person it might make them think twice about starting fights.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like something a security guard would make up. A lot of these security guys are like that you find a lot of wanna beeeees! Trust me I know I did security for awhile after I got out of the Army and before I become a police officer and most of the guys I worked with were wanna beeee's. hahahahaha its funny

kimura_guy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Vale Tudo Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I jusy wanted to say something. I am a security guard at a local college. We have a people that work with us that thinks they are the Chief of Police for the town. Me, I'm just using this job as a stepping stone till I finish my college. While there are some bad security guards, there are also some really good security guards also. I am armed, I carry pepper spray, handcuffs and an asp, but I dont let all that go to my head when Im working. But it sounds to me like that security guard was talking out of his head, and trying to impress you. Take it with a grain of salt. Just my two cents.

KG

kimura_guy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Vale Tudo Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I jusy wanted to say something. I am a security guard at a local college. We have a people that work with us that thinks they are the Chief of Police for the town. Me, I'm just using this job as a stepping stone till I finish my college. While there are some bad security guards, there are also some really good security guards also. I am armed, I carry pepper spray, handcuffs and an asp, but I dont let all that go to my head when Im working. But it sounds to me like that security guard was talking out of his head, and trying to impress you. Take it with a grain of salt. Just my two cents.

KG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: