Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Interview: Sensei Peter Gideon Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Please note: this interview was conducted in Spanish. Any translation mistakes are the fault of the author.

There's a little country in Central America called Panama. Many of you may not have heard about it or just know Panama because of the Panama Canal or Singer Ruben Blades or Boxer Roberto "manos de Piedra" Duran. But, there's more in Panama. I thought it would be nice to have a series of interviews with very good martial artists, born and raised in Panamanian land. I had the chance to talk with one of the most popular Karatekas in our country. He has been a great competitor and a great coach for many of the up and coming Karate champions. I know about his dedication to and hard work in Karate because I was his student for some time. His name is Peter Gideon.

SubmissionFighter: Ous Sensei. I'm glad to see you again.

Peter Gideon: Ous Eduardo. You have been lost. When are you going to drop by my dojo, you lazy. (laughs)

SF: (laughing) I'll come some day soon, I promise. Let's start with the interview, Sensei.

PG: OK. But, bare with me, I've never done this before, I'm a little nervous. (laugh)

SF: Don't worry, I haven't interviewed anyone either. (laughs) For the readers, tell me your name, where you were born and how old you are.

PG: My name is Peter Gideon. I was born in Bocas del Toro, Panama. I'm 41 years old.

SF: How did you get started in the martial arts?

PG: I liked the martial arts ever since I was a little kid. I had no place to train at that time. That was until a new neighbor who happened to be a Brown Belt, started to teach a class right in the park right in front of my house. I used to go and watch the classes until one day he asked me if I wanted to train with him and that's when I started to train.

SF: What was the name of your first instructor?

PG: The instructor's name is Marcelo DeLeon and the style he taught me was Shotokan Karate. Then he switched organizations - to the Kokusai Kempo Karate-Do and got his Black belt there. I stayed with him for 15 years until I decided to go back to Shotokan Karate. Sensei Marcelo isn't teaching to the open public right now. He's a bodyguard trainer.

SF: What's your current style, organization and grades?

PG: Right now, I'm a 3rd degree Black belt in Shotokan Karate under the Dai Ichi Shotokan Karate Do Association. The President of the association, Ricardo W. Johns is an 8th degree Black belt who lives in New York City, U.S.A. I also have my 4th degree Black belt in Kempo Karate-Do under the Kokusai Kempo Karate Do, but I don't teach that style anymore. I focus in Shotokan Karate.

SF: Speaking of that, give the readers your opinion about ranks.

PG: To me, knowledge is more important than Ranks by far. I remember in the old days, it took almost a lifetime to reach a Black belt rank. Not to mention a 3rd or 4th degree. It took almost 5 years to reach a 4th Kyu and like 10 years for a Black belt. Right now, I'm a 3rd degree but I was offered to test for the 4th degree 2 years ago, but I declined the opportunity because I feel the need for more knowledge. Ranks are good for school and organization use only. I don't even like to use "stripes" or "bars" on my belt. (laugh) My belt is plain Black.

SF: How long does it takes to get a Black belt in your school?

PG: Between 5 to 6 years. I want my Black belts to be really good.

SF: What do you think about those "two year Black belt" contracts?

PG: You can't make a professional in only 2 years. You can teach them all the techniques but they'll be weak in most of the cases. Unless you have previous experience in other styles, that "from 0 to Black belt in two years" thing, is just for the money.

SF: You have been an amazing competitor in the Sport Karate rings. What's your opinion about the debate on Sport Karate vs. Traditional Karate?

PG: Sport Karate is good for people (kids especially) who like the excitement of proving their techniques against other Karatekas. You have judges, rules, time limits to make this practice as safe as possible. Also, it helps to keep the people in the dojo motivated because most of the people in dojos like tournaments. (laugh) Traditional Karate, on the other hand, is more important for self defense. Kumite, in a traditional oriented class, have no time limits, no technique limits, no points, etc. You also have to train a lot in your Kata Bunkai, which is vital to understand the Kata for self defense use. To me, Traditonal Karate is far more important, but Sport Karate helps, too, especially for the kids.

SF: When did you start your career as a competitor?

PG: It was in 1977. I won 4th place in Kumite. I could have won the 3rd place, but I was robbed by the judge. (laughs) I was still a naive White belt. (laughs)

SF: Can you give us a little history of your competition career?

PG: Ok. I won a lot of minor tournaments here in the city. Too many to count, mostly in Kumite. I got a lot of experience by going to all of those little tournaments. Win, lose or draw the biggest prize was the experience that I gained. As a Black belt, my major accomplishments are the National Karate Championship, which I won in 1990, lost in 1991, won back in 1995 and defended successfully in 1996, 97, 98 and 99. I was forced to drop that title in order to enter to the National Karate Team as Captain. I won a Gold medal in the Middleweight (-80), the Silver Medal in teams in the Central American Games in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. In the first Central America and Caribe Championships in San Salvador, El Salvador. I won the Heavyweight (80+) Gold. In the XVI Central America and Mexico Karate Tournament, I won a Silver medal in teams and a Silver medal in the Open.

SF: In all those years of competition, you have to remember one really tough opponent to beat.

PG: Yes, in the Central America and Mexico Tournament Open Semi-Final. My opponent was a big Mexican, very good hands and quick footwork for a man of that size. He was ahead of me 5-4 in the overtime. With 30 seconds left, I was able to do a Sweep (ashi-barai) and reverse punch (gyakusuki) combo that awarded me 2 points and I won the match. I was so exhausted that I couldn't do well in the finals.

SF: Have you ever used your Karate in a real life confrontation, outside the ring?

PG: Once I did. A guy I was arguing with tried to punch me in the face real hard. Believe or not, I could see the punch coming to my face in slow motion. I extended my arm, blocked the punch, grabbed the of the guy's neck, pulled him down, gave him two punches on the face, pushed him away and hit him with a front kick. It wasn't a nice experience and I felt bad.

SF: In a previous conversation, you told me about a couple of classes you teach besides the ones in your dojo. Can you tell us a little more about them?

PG: Besides teaching 4 times a week in my dojo, I have 2 more little groups. One for kids and another mix group, both in extremely poor communities of the country and I'm looking forward to opening 2 more when I have the chance. There are a lot of kids in poor communities who wish to train in Karate but don't have the money to pay for school. Those kids give 200% in the class, they are strong and have potential to be great Karatekas. I charge just enough to pay the gas for me to go to the classes. I know what it feels like to want to train and not having the money. The one's who want and don't have, I want to give them the chance.

SF: For those who read this interview and wish to train but aren't sure if they should, what would you say to them?

PG: Don't be afraid. Go to a dojo. Watch a class. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Karate isn't as tough as it used to be in the old days. "Break the ice" and give it a try. Karate can be good for your health, mentally relaxing, a way to relief the stress of daily activities. It's a complete way of exercise in which you can train your mind, body and spirit. Go and train frequently, you won't regret it. I'm 41 years old and can still compete against kids in their 20's because I haven't stop training in all of my years.

SF: Thanks for your time, Sensei. It's always a pleasure to talk with you.

PG: Thanks to you, Eduardo. Now come and train with me - I have an extra Gi the locker room! (laughs)

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this article, Eduardo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interview Eduardo. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nice interview Eduardo.

Thruhiker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article.

I really like it when experienced MA's sit down to relinquish some of their knowledge.

That was something I feel that the XMA's missed with their special a couple weeks ago. Some great people were shown on the show but all they talked about was Matt and his come back. It would have been nice to hear some of the masters talk for a while.

supergroup7
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this interview.

I find it uplifting to read about the lives, and experiences of those who have trained to reach such a high level.

I'd like to see more interviews, and memoirs of the stories we carry as karateka.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.
Im working in another one, but it really takes time to do it. Im a little busy right now and I need to sit down with the Sensei, then write it down, translate it in English...And all that takes time.

Rotten Head Fok
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choy-Li-Fut, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good interview !
You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like articles like this.
This martial artist is someone i probably wouldnt have ever become familiar with, its nice to learn more about a person from another place other then where i am from.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckykboxer wrote:
I like articles like this.
This martial artist is someone i probably wouldnt have ever become familiar with, its nice to learn more about a person from another place other then where i am from.

I agree.

Even though I most probably won't meet Sensei Peter Gideon in real life it was very interesting to read about his life and work.

Thanks for the article SubmissionFighter!

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: