Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I wasn't aware of that.

Here is a slightly outdated list of our masters. A few on this list are a level higher now. And, there are some newer 5th dregee masters not listed.

http://www.kuksoolwon.com/masters.htm

bluemeanie
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article. As a white belt with only a couple of months of training (KSW is my first martial art), I absolutely love it. I am actually considering passing up a slightly more attractive job and taking a lesser one to continue my training. Here in AR, there are only 3 schools that I know of, and none in the central part of the state, so options are limited.

-- 1 Corinthians 16:13
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you like it.

You might ask your instructor, or headquarters, if there are any clubs practicing near where the "other" job is located. Clubs are not always listed somewhere that can be easily found, but they still have to register with headquarters.

Pepparoo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won (noh rahng di), Ju Juitsu & Quack Fu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Nice job, Doug.

Indeed!

Im going for my Yellow Belt in KSW tomorrow as it happens...lol!

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Korean Martial Arts, Shorei-ryu, others

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I don't have access to them, there are pictures of KSN with DJN Choi. Yes KSN, did learn from his grandfather, but he was also part of the HKD family no matter how much he would like to protest it. Both him and SGM Lee were students of Choi, if not directly, then indirectly. There are pictures to prove this.

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note but isn't it funny how the Emblem for KSW and the Emblem for HRD are extremely similar?

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug, are you familiar with GM Timmerman from Canada? I had the honor of attending one of his seminars when he was in Chicago a couple of months ago. It was a blast to say the least. Great guy and technician.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just discussing him off-line with ZR440.

I know of him, but have never had the pleasure of meeting him. Apparently had a falling out with Kuk Sa Nim at some point, but it's just one of those things that happen occationally at the high levels that we never hear about.

On your other note, there is also a known history between our Grandmaster and the Grandmaster of HRD. I only know what I have read and seen. So, since I have no "first hand" knowledge, I prefer not to speculate.

miguksaram
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:

Was just discussing him off-line with ZR440.

I know of him, but have never had the pleasure of meeting him. Apparently had a falling out with Kuk Sa Nim at some point, but it's just one of those things that happen occationally at the high levels that we never hear about.

On your other note, there is also a known history between our Grandmaster and the Grandmaster of HRD. I only know what I have read and seen. So, since I have no "first hand" knowledge, I prefer not to speculate.

Well if you ever get a chance to train with KSN Timmerman, take it. Great and humble guy with some wicked throws for a 60 year old man.

If you study HRD's throws with KSW throws, you will see a lot of similarities. I'm sure they interacted pleanty of times with each other in the past.

pknox
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I have previously studied Shaolin Kempo, Shukokai Karate, and BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:

First off, Doug - that was an excellent post. Very informative, as well as well-written.

For at least a partial answer to the comment above, check out this link from the Hwa Rang Do World HQ site, where they have a lineage tree:

http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/History/history/map.htm

There is generally held to be some similarity between the techniques of the two systems, as both evidently got their Hapkido from the same source. Incidentally, according to the lineage posted at the link above, at one time (1962-1966) the Lee brothers were in an organization called the Kuk Sool Hwe. From 1962-1964, In-Hyuk Suh was part of the same organization. That might help explain some of the similarities.

Many of the people I have known to train in both systems have commented on how similar they were. In my opinion, they are both excellent, comprehensive systems, and very worthwhile of study. I happen to live about 15 min from the eastern HQ of HWD, and am planning to start training there shortly. If a KSW school had been nearby instead, I would not have hesitated to train there either. For some reason, it just seems there are not a lot of KSW schools (actually, none that I know of, according to www.kuksoolwon.com ) here in my neck of the woods (central NJ), but there are a couple of HWD ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: