Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Investigating the martial art elements Reply with quote

Martial art elements if you are unfamiliar with the term are Chinese fighting strategies.

Water; for instance, uses ways to flow around an opponent, also to not fight force with force but to use the opposing energy against the opponent.

Fire; is confusing strategy, used fast and unpredictable.

Wood; is the liner tactic, being that the shortest distance between to points is a straight line, using long reaching strikes.

Earth; intent techniques are to bring the opponent to the ground using leg sweeps and arm locks, or any other similar technique that is at hand.

Metal; uses gravity, bodyweight, balance and sensitivity principles.

Air; is similar to boxing with bobbing and weaving and slipping attacks, while striking the opponent's vulnerable targets while not using any other strategies such as holding or grabbing.

Mountain; is similar to a continuous barrage of punches and kicks without stopping or blocking, similar to being caught under a rock slide.

Heaven; utilizing techniques that throw the opponent, lifting them off their feet.

Thunder; a heavy hand and foot strategy with lightning fast reflexes, intended to overwhelm the opponent without mercy or compromise.

These are creative ways to fight or defend. Other attributes can be associated or changed with the elements, it is a way to put theory in to practice.

What is your opinion, are these viable strategies or just fantasy concepts?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Investigating the martial art elements Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Martial art elements if you are unfamiliar with the term are Chinese fighting strategies.

Water; for instance, uses ways to flow around an opponent, also to not fight force with force but to use the opposing energy against the opponent.

Fire; is confusing strategy, used fast and unpredictable.

Wood; is the liner tactic, being that the shortest distance between to points is a straight line, using long reaching strikes.

Earth; intent techniques are to bring the opponent to the ground using leg sweeps and arm locks, or any other similar technique that is at hand.

Metal; uses gravity, bodyweight, balance and sensitivity principles.

Air; is similar to boxing with bobbing and weaving and slipping attacks, while striking the opponent's vulnerable targets while not using any other strategies such as holding or grabbing.

Mountain; is similar to a continuous barrage of punches and kicks without stopping or blocking, similar to being caught under a rock slide.

Heaven; utilizing techniques that throw the opponent, lifting them off their feet.

Thunder; a heavy hand and foot strategy with lightning fast reflexes, intended to overwhelm the opponent without mercy or compromise.

These are creative ways to fight or defend. Other attributes can be associated or changed with the elements, it is a way to put theory in to practice.

What is your opinion, are these viable strategies or just fantasy concepts?

For me, it's too much naming for too little practical pay off. JKD, despite being the art of "don't name a it", suffers from the same kind of thing. It's up to each practitioner to determine the best learning styles for themselves. Some styles push certain learning methods. When these two match closely students can progress well. I'm just not sure how artificial constructs aid in this process. That said, everyone's journey isn't mine. So some might find use it.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I'm a dyslexia type of martial artist, pictorial descriptions helps with my understanding and comprehensions.

What would Bruce Lee use to replace his water analogies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: