Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here practice iron palm, body, or arm training? If so how was your training and what can you now accomplish that you used to not be able to do?

I am interested in this training because my friend does it and that guy's a flippin' martial arts addict!

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice the Iron Forearms training...

the effects of it...

well... my blocks hurt a lot more... hehe... i haven't begun to use stones for my training... I'm still hittin the good 'ole Oak tree... hehe...

well... for instance... today... while i was training with my partner... i would barely block his punches and he said it hurt like hell... it even popped a few of his blood vessels... i really wasn't hitting him hard at all... i could have blocked MUCH harder than i was... i think he was just being a wuss... hehe... but i have seen a considerable increase in the strength of my forearms... like... the bone is much stronger... soon i'm gonna have to find a larger oak tree to train on... when i hit the one i train on currently... it shakes violently... i want one that doesn't move... like when i first started training on this one... it didnt move when i hit it...

but anywho...

thats my experience with it...

i'm also trying to collect newspaper to try out some Paper Tent Gung Fu techniques... you can read from one of my previous posts in the Kung Fu section about that...

-Gor

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont mind, I was wondering if you could tell us what you entail in youre iron forearm training?

Basically how do you go about training for it?

Thank you

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to put soy beans in a bucket and punch it till i bled. it really made my knuckles a lot stronger and it gave me confidence in my punches. It took so long to heal the wounds so it took me a while. I mean forever, punch the soybeans for 5 minutes and then wait a month till your knuckles healed.
Other than the pain and the time, it works really good for punches...
For blocks me and my friend worked a drill where you hit each others forearms for about 3 min with each others forearms and then we blocked each others punches.
Yeah, that one hurt also, but it would hurt ever more if you couldnt block an assailants punch on the streets!!!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an extensive article in "Inside KungFu a couple years ago about iron hand training "You too can have hands like stone in 100 Days" (maybe you can find the issue Jul. 1998) There were 6 methods of training and special breathing exercises that should also accompany this training ...but the article did say that many of the methods should be taught by a qualified teacher to avoid injury, so maybe training on your own is not such a good idea!

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention I've also seen advertisements for Kime unlike iron palm I have no clue what this even does for you so if any of you could help me out on that one it would be of great help. oh again I myself also condition on a makiwara board very useful. Mine has striking points on it as well. They help develop accuracy and condition hands as well.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kickchick in that you should'nt train in these methods without a qualified instructor.

There is alot of damage you can do to yourself in the training, some that will appear later as you get older.

You need to use proper technique, and use the proper "medicine" in order to prevent things such as arthritis.

Also punching to you bleed, and wait to heal is bad. Yes you may train your hands harder fast, but there is alot of scare tissue build up, and internal damage to your hands.

Also training before full body development can cause damage. This why I dpn't believe in teaching these techniques to childreens and young teens.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Iron Arahat on 2002-01-25 12:00 ]

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joecooke, what kind of makiwara do you have? Indoor/outdoor, storebought/homemade, etc?

Nice to see other Goju students out there!

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Arahat,
I agree with you totally. It is very unsafe to practice without a proper teacher. If anybody decides to read this post and doesn't feel like taking heed to this warning I'm telling you now that we're talking worse then arthritis we're talkin' permanent nerve damage.

CHH,
First of all welcome to the boards. I take it that you also practice Goju ryu. I have an indoor makiwara that I purchased from http://www.awma.com It is canvass and will work like an iron palm bag because the contents withing can vary. It is 3' tall and has striking points on it. i'm also thinking about gettig a clapper makiwara.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: