Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Iron Palm Follow Along #1 Reply with quote

My apologies for not posting this sooner. I have some sort of strange internet issue that blocks this website at times and I have not been able to post here for the last several days.

I am currently waiting on one (1) item to begin the follow along with the iron palm training. Here is the plan that I have currently as far as my plan for posting:

- Introduction to Iron Palm
- Warm up and preparation
- Striking the bag
- Closing or balancing exercises
- Testing the results

All of that will be over a specific amount of time. I'd like to ask for any questions that you might have now that I can answer now as well as any questions or suggestions to the above. I just want to make sure I cover what you folks following along might have questions about. Since I can do the "introduction" without the needed piece I am waiting on, I'd like to include as many of your questions as possible.

Thanks for your help, questions and suggestions.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the required equipment or peripherals for this training?

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
What would be the required equipment or peripherals for this training?

Excellent question! And I will be posting more on this topic in the introductory section.

Since this is what is referred to as an "indirect method" of training, you will need a bag as well as the material to fill it with. I am not sure if I can post non-affiliate links to what I purchased or not (does anyone know?). I got my bag off of Amazon as well as the mung beans to fill it with. Mung beans are the first level of fillings to be used. There are other options to mung beans, but I stick with them since they are cheap and easy to get.

You will also need some dit da jow (跌打酒), literally "hit fall wine". This will be used before and after the daily training on the bag. That can be difficult to find as you really need to be able to trust the people or person making it. In this case, I will be showing how to make up to a gallon of your own. I am working now to be able to secure permission to share the actual recipe for it. I was actually able to get to an herbalist that I trust and get the materials for it. I'll be showing from start to finish how to make your own.

Lastly, you will need a table of some sort to put your bag on that will support the hitting we will be doing. And I will be showing to to sort of measure the size you will need.

So, the list would be:
    Striking or iron palm bag
    Filling for the bag (mung beans)
    Dit da jow
    Table for bag

Since this is a muti-level and multi-year training (in total), there are additional items that would be added, but this is what you will need for the first level and depending upon the training, would cover the first 6 months to a year of training.

As I said, great question and keep them coming!

If it is OK to post links to what I purchased, I am happy to share them with you all.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for my karate based friends here, this is not a "Chinese only" type of training. Usually you will find the more destructive type of training in the Okinawan and some Japanese arts. However, there are a very few out there that teach omoi te (重い手) or "heavy hand" and I would suggest doing some research on that. Iron palm or heavy hand is something that can certainly be added to just about any art you are training in.

Thanks!

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for anyone that may have been interested in this. Life, health and the holidays got in the way and I have not been very active here for about a month.

This whole process has actually been moving forward and I am getting closer to being able to start publishing information here soon. I have already shot a video showing how the iron palm dit da jow (跌打酒) is made. Unfortunately, I do not yet have permission to share the recipe, but I do have an alternative recipe that I am comfortable with and can share that as needed. To note, this video shows the herb package, talks about how to store the raw herbs if they are not going to be used immediately, the containers and materials to use, the alcohol to use and then how to get the most bang for your buck with the jow once you have everything mixed together.

Along these lines, the jow has been aging for about 6 weeks now (and this is a useable age...but the longer you can let it set, the better). I also made another batch of just "regular" dit da jow (meaning non-iron palm). I did not shoot a video of that as the process is identical. However, the coloration is different, so I am getting ready to shoot another video showing the external or visible differences between the two.

Lastly, I have got the training bag as well as the fill for it. So we are good to go there.

I have got one question already that I am going to be incorporating into the videos I am going to be doing (thank you for that). Should anyone happen to have any additional questions or things that they would like to see as a part of this, please post here....even if it is just comments or suggestions or anything at all. As I said, as long as there was a person or two that is interested, I would get it done. I am and I will...I am just a little old and slow! HA!

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: