Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

nine_weapons
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, judo, bjj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
You mention "the founders," and it takes me back to style. I wonder if bouncing would be similar to what the jenga is to Capoeira. Would this be unnecessary motion as well? It is good for the dance, and getting your body going to generate momentum, but would you want to break out in a jenga, a-la Only the Strong, when defending yourself?

I train with capoeira guys on occasion. the jenga is not a bounce. Not only that, but they do NOT do it while fighting intensely. If you watch capoerista in a joda, once they get going, they are kicking and moving. When there is a lull, or when their rhythm seems off, they return to jenga. Another note about the jenga is that (at least in this capoeira group) is that the feet remain in contact with the ground - it glides over the floor - they are not picking the the moving foot off of the floor. If you have ever seen/done kali, it is almost similar to their male "V" stepping, triangle stepping drill that they do.

bouncing is more akin to a shuffle, but when you bounce, feet tend to leave the ground. Many (if not all) styles rely on connection to the ground in order to establish some sort of root to it, no? it adds power to your strikes. Also, with that lack of connection to the ground, it is easier to offbalance a person, as they have already uprooted themself.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nine_weapons wrote:
I train with capoeira guys on occasion. the jenga is not a bounce. Not only that, but they do NOT do it while fighting intensely.

I know that the jenga is not a bounce. I was comparing it to bouncing, wondering if it would fall into the unnecessary movement category. You answered the question well for me though, so thanks.

DasZab
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents...

I've been in sparring matches with the boxer-bouncer type. While it can help them if they're fast on their feet and they actually know what they're doing, most of the time I'd say it just gets people really angry. =D

Cybren
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ji Do Kwon Tae kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nine_weapons wrote:
Elky wrote:
There's no such thing as a "technical" answer. If it works, it's "technically" right for those people.

so technically, "ain't" is a real word and is grammatically correct? No. It's slang... incorrect, but people use it. Same goes for anything. Just because a person does it doesn't make it right, just means it works for said person.

*cough*
http://m-w.com/dictionary/ain't
Webster says it's aight

david123
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shotokan,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends...by just genaral knowledge you could easily be sweeped or taken off your feet extremely easily, even just moving your front foot gives the opertunity for a sweep...i dont know why pros do it but personly i do it a wee bit in comps and stuff but in training you should never bounce about...or in a street fight bouncing about gives opertunities and could have catasrophic
consequences!

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that bouncing is ok because I personally am more agile while I am bouncing and I never thought it telegraphed your movements, if anything it would make them more random in my opinion.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In points fighing you see most fighters bounce.

It what you call "warm engine" and gives you the ability to react faster.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee M wrote:
In points fighing you see most fighters bounce.

It what you call "warm engine" and gives you the ability to react faster.
Yeah, its the idea that is easier to go into motion if you are already in motion...an object in motion tends to stay in motion, I guess.

shimizu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate (and ITF Tae Kwon-Do)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is "bouncing" while sparring wrong? Reply with quote

Eric7_27 wrote:
Whenever I spar or do my kicks, forms, etc., I have a tendancy to "bounce" up and down. I've done this ever since when I was a kid and did a little boxing. My instructors always tell me not to, and that it wastes energy, or it might make me telegraph. If it's wrong- how come I see some of the best fighters do it?? What do you guys think?

-Eric

no. it's not wrong at all. it is actually very good as it adds and element of surprise to attacks. in my tae kwon-do classes; we are told to bounce and we are reminded to do so whenever we don't during sparring

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sparring rules where leg sweeps and low kicks aren't allowed it's probably all right. Outside of that though it's a risky behavior. The moment I see someone rise up off of the ground with both feet is the moment I close the distance and attack as now they have no base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: