Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice post

atalaya
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kyokushin, goju-ryu, aikido

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: give and take Reply with quote

although it seems that "chivalry" may just be a pretty word for "weakness" or spineless sniveling and groveling to appeal to others, i believe that it is the height of strength. meekness is great power under complete control. when you give an opponent a "fair" fight it means that you are above petty manuevering and that you would rather bravely face your opponent at their best than take the coward's way out and wait til they're at their worst and risk becoming like them.
on the same note- you should train so that you can always give your opponent a "fair"fight. "fair" is a ridiculous notion. for example for me to be in a "fair" fight with someone whose physical and mental state were not as developed as mine (the small percentage of the population that that represents) i would have to be on my knees and blindfolded for it to be "fair." i suppose i mean for them to be allowed their best shot. it may not be much of one, but i owe it to myself to let them take it.
unless they're trying to kill me, in which case it is no longer a fight, it is just survival.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have certainly discovered the essence of martial arts. I bow respectfully to you.

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a really good read. Thank you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Is chivalry really dead? Reply with quote

That is a very nice article, and I can relate to a lot of the elements included therein. I am a detention officer for our county jail now, and I can see where our society has gone on a daily basis. Drugs that I didn't know where around, and things like that.

The more that we can all set good examples for younger people to follow, then the better we can help ourselves out in society as a whole.

Punishment224
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kendo, Kenpo, Jujitsu, Capoeira, and Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been dead have u seen alot of people do anything good not like "sorry'' or help u when u in trouble just like the samurai code it's dead

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chivelry was not all it was cracked up to be although the idea and the concept of it all was a good idea. But...I am afraid that there is no honor even among thieves anymore. People will rob you at gunpoint one immediately give them the money and the robber kills the victim without caring. People walk on the sidewalk, take up pretty much the whole sidewalk and refuse to move the slightest to allow someone in the other direction to pass without going into the street. People drive with the notion that they have the right-of-way and they always have it regardless. When the elevator opens people charge in the elevator before letting those inside out. There is so much more. At least that is what I see. Of course I am in Chicago area and the city was recently voted the rudest.

Maxma
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do, Eskrima Silat, Muay Thai, Wing Chun Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this article, although i feel compelled to point something out:
Even in "The Days of Old," chivalry wasn't the norm. You talk of samurai and knights in shining armor, but they were a minor group of people. The common man, and many "nobles," had just as little chivalrous aspects of their character as people of today. The only difference is now we have guns in addition to knives and sticks, and we have many more inter-racial problems as well. I say this because while people of old may have been openly racist, confrontations between races weren't as common. They didn't have the means to travel as easily as we do now, so except in times of war and places of trade, towns and cities were generally uniracial.
Ok, I think i got carried away on a tangent, so let me get back to my point:
Honor and chivalry have forever been treasures acquired by few. So I congratulate you and applaude you in your unwillingness to bend your morals.
And here i think i will insert a very good quote from the movie Coach Carter, a quote that i believe you emulate the message of.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. "

That quote is said by the character Timo Cruz in response to Coach Carter's repetitive question: "What is your deepest fear?"
In your case, shine so that others may have cause to rise above the constant degredation of today's society.

With respect,
Max
and Life goes hand-in-hand.
~Max

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent quote, thank you.

patusai, those people are all the more reason to NOT allow yourself to be swain. It's all mental attitude and dissapline.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:
An excellent quote, thank you.

patusai, those people are all the more reason to NOT allow yourself to be swain. It's all mental attitude and dissapline.

Walking the straight and narrow and trying to be nice to everyone...Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: