Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elbows_and_knees wrote:
here's the thing - in regards to damaging a joint, choking a guy out, etc., these things are incidental. I applied an arm bar, he fought and it snapped. We struggled and fell, he hit his head on the ground. without a witness, it's hard to say otherwise. I may not have meant for you to hurt yourself - I only wanted to keep you from hurting me. On the other hand, if I strike you, I obviously meant to do it. guilty.

murder is the same way. you can intentionally kill a person and get several years to life in prison. However, if you kill them accidentally, you can be out in like 10 years or less. one of my best friends was shot and killed, but the guy who shot him was actually trying to shoot someone else. Consequently, he only got an involuntary manslaughter charge and was out of prison in 5 years.

Thats an exellent point.
Grappling seems to have a upper hand in long term effects in general.
The best thing seems to have a strong solution without having to waste time thinking, as stated by many others.
I think grappling is effective for these scenarios if you know where to go from.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:
With that in mind, there are a couple of things you can do to improve your chances in court.

1) Use only enough force necessary to stop the violence
2) Make sure he doesn't know who you are when he "goes to sleep for a little while"

They can't prosecute you if they don't know who you are.

One thing I would add is to try to get someone to witness for you. That is one reason it is good to travel in small groups.

glockmeister
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Haganah, Krav Maga, JKD, Kickboxing,BJJ, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I think you are missing is that the strength of BJJ is not only in the submissions but in positioning and the ability to go from a bad position to a better one while still able to fight even from on your back,
Talk to any BJJ black belt and they will tell you that the very core of BJJ/Submission Grappling is positional dominance, much more so than submissions.
That is what actually makes BJJ a great thing to know in the case of self defense because there is always a good chance that one or more agressors will get you on the ground. Your ability to move to a better position to either counter attack or get back up is greatly increased when you have a good ground game.

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, glockmiester.

Zapatista
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: I'll loosely be doing BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bushido_man96 that glockmeister made a very good point. This thread has really opened my eyes on the benefits of grappling that I hadn't thought of before. Thanks for all those who contributed to the thread.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People get sued or go to jail because they go too far in "self defense." It is the extra kick when they are already on the ground that will get you in trouble. Or the pre-emptive punch becasue "he looked like he waws going to hit me." These are the bar room-type fights that can often be avoided anyway by just backing down.

As for a mugger, tho, let's be realistic. How many people are mugged by someone without a weapon? If the mugger has a weapon, virtually anything you do to defend yourself will be ok, and if the weapon is a gun or knife, virtually no martial art is proof from getting yourself killed.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerDude wrote:

As for a mugger, tho, let's be realistic. How many people are mugged by someone without a weapon? If the mugger has a weapon, virtually anything you do to defend yourself will be ok, and if the weapon is a gun or knife, virtually no martial art is proof from getting yourself killed.

All the time actually where I live. A friend and myself once fought with a group who wanted money, but alot of the unarmed attackers are probably in groups to compensate.

Karate Dad
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockmeister wrote:
there is always a good chance that one or more agressors will get you on the ground. Your ability to move to a better position to either counter attack or get back up is greatly increased when you have a good ground game.

This is the best point made. With more than one attacker you do not want to be on the ground, or you'll need help getting up after they are done. Cross train in other stand-up styles.

I am not a grappler, but I train in it enough to know some in the case I do get on the ground, but I prefer not to stay there.

<added>

To get back to the topic:
It is also a very good idea to say, "Please Stop, I don't want to fight" or other relevant things that allow "witnesses" to hear that you do not want to fight or have to hurt the other attacker.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it seems to me that in any fight, some will try to get you on the ground, whether they know how to wrestle or not. It is the driving force that one thinks that they can dominate someone completely if they can get them down, and set on their chest.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to lead people to the floor is part of the animal intinct.
I am very sad with the global politics about self defense....Decent people have always to think that probably can go to jail because killing an agressive bum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: