Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Boxing, Karate, Jui Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevinyrral wrote:
I think it depends on person, style and circumstances.
If a person trains hard, attends online classes, joins open sparring sessions or competitions then it would give crebility to his rank. One could also learn at home but attend grading in person.
As for the style... a lot of people say you wont learn timing and other things related to sparring and fighting. But to be honest, a big majority of traditional styles (mostly karate and tkd) dont teach sparring or teach only point sparring with little to no contact.

All good points. A lot of variables. Difficult to say a black and white answer on this. I’m heavily engaged in BJJ. I can’t imagine learning Jui Jitsu online. With the exception of the Gracie combative belt with a good training partner. I’ve learned a lot of Karate and other arts in person class. But I think you can do a lot in an online format, again entirely depends on the person, the art, and the purpose of the learning.

For example in my thinking:
Jiu Jitsu difficult.
Karate depends.
Tai Chi yes.
“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have decided to use my Karate skills in MMA. I am training at an MMA gym. What I lack in belt I will make up for with fight experience

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
Guys, I have decided to use my Karate skills in MMA. I am training at an MMA gym. What I lack in belt I will make up for with fight experience
That sounds like it will be a fun experience! Please, keep us posted on what you learn, and how you transition your training into MMA.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Himokiri Karate wrote:
That sounds like it will be a fun experience! Please, keep us posted on what you learn, and how you transition your training into MMA.

Thank you and for a start this is where I am so far:

- Just did second vaccine shot, felt awful, recovered and just now I am doing my medicals for amateur kickboxing and MMA.

Regarding training, my primary style is going to be boxing and Korean Karate blended together. Aside from that I train in sambo for majority of my training. My instructor was 5th degree black belt in judo but stopped training because he mentioned that they keep taking the moves out and that sambo looks closer to original judo.

Now in regards to blending boxing and Karate, here is the challenge:

I like to stand very side-ways and this makes me vulnerable to low kicks, to overcome it, I have to develop beyond exceptional foot speed and reflexes with moving the lead leg. My Taekwondo teacher and I work on it so that my Boxing and Tang Soo Do/Karate is becoming much quicker .Another thing with side way is, with my sambo teacher, I work on using hip throws for reversals in case if I get my lead leg grabbed. Of course everything I said sounds good and technically correct but now I have to develop the cardio and level-headedness to deal with the intensity that gets thrown at me.

Dboxobi
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan/Japanese Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support virtual learning and online testing. It can be the only choice for some, and as another poster stated... "any training is better than no training"

The Machida Academy offers online learning and rank examination via video submission. No one can possibly question their authenticity due to their success in real combat. this is a excerpt from their website

"The Virtual Dojo follows the same methodology as all Machida Dojos around the world. Take the classes here and the belt test online, via Zoom with one of the HQ Senseis.

BELT SYSTEM AND TESTING

White to Yellow Belt: Complete all 4 Programs and 4 months of training.

Belt Test 1: After you complete all 4 Courses of Adult Fundamental, you book your live test with one of Machida Senseis. It is a 30-minute long test where you have to perform the techniques of the courses.

Yellow To Orange Belt: Complete all 4 Programs and 4 months of training one more time.

Belt Test 2: After you complete all 4 Courses of Adult Fundamental for a second time, you book your live test with one of Machida Senseis. It is a 30-minute long test where you have to perform the techniques of the courses. It's more strict than the first test.

After you earn your Orange Belt, you can join the Adult Advanced Program."

personally, (on few occasions) I have learned to a better extent by viewing pre recorded video as opposed to some in person instruction. The same applied when I was taking college courses.

my 2 cents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: