Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MrDash
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was this guy in our training hall(and had a balck belt) i asked him about if he could use taekowndo in self defense he said taekwondo is much a sport than a self defense art if that is true can u tell a good self defense martial art because the athletic side isnt really important for me

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tae Kwon Do does work as self defence. Any training gives you self confidence and that alone helps. TKDist Kick very fast and very hard....who ever told you a round kick to the temple only works for sport has never been smacked by a tkd stylist.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this goes along with some posts in another section.

Yes, our kicks are powerful and fast(one reason i prefer TKD over other arts)...but not all fights end up in the air. Need to have ground and other techniques...therefore the well rounded and crosstrained fighter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

MrDash
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly he said that 90% TKD is sport and just 10% in self defense

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with that... some schools will focus more on sport but a kick to the groin is a kick to the groin no matter what art you study.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always some dumbass that has to say something...

Just read a magazine or a book before you belive someone...

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive grown soooooo tired of hearing the pecentange of kicking vs hand techniques over the years.....90% this 70 % that..etc..etc... although my art is known for its dynamic kicking there are plenty of hand techniques also involved in TKD ..and throws and knee strikes and elbows... weve got all these "self proclaimed know it all" everywhere i go or read up on martial arts always people who think they can sum up taekwon do as..just a kicking art..anybody that says this has never seriously studied taekwon do

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing mystical or magical about TKD,itis only one of many martial arts. Taekwondo is a modern Korean martial art, characterized by fast, high, jumping,spinning kicks. It is an all-around program that offers self-defense training, physical exercise,and artistic expression Any claims made by TKD'ists are probably also made by other martial arts and vice versa.Some martial art styles claim to be the best, but when examined closely, all the empty hand martial arts are basically the same. Some may concentrate on different areas, such as arm locks or grappling, but underlying all martial arts are the same basic principles. Some are practiced for pure sport, while others, such as Taekwondo have an underlying purpose. The underlying purpose of TKD is combat. Taekwondo may be practiced as a pure sport, as a pure fighting art, or as a combination of both.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-31 11:42 ]

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell is its for sport or self defence by going on the steet and fighting people. Not the smartest idea.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK TKD is more a sport then a martial art. the kicks are hard and very fast......i have first hand experiance because TKD is one of the first arts i started with back in the day

but in a real self defense situation or street fight people are gonna try and get on top of you on the ground and pound your face in, a roundhouse wouldnt work too good in that situation, also in a real street fight people grab you by the neck, spit on you, and try to gouge your eye balls out

ive never seen a fight (and i have seen quite a few) where two guys just stand their and exchange blows
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: