Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Is Jake Mace reliable? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Jake Mace is reliable as a good source for knowledge in the martial arts? He makes lots of youtube videos, particularly ones that focus on kung fu and various forms of kung fu. Anybody familiar with him? Anybody know if he's any good?

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are martial artists who use youtube to good effect and there are youtubers who use martial arts to good effect.

I have no experience in chinese arts so I won't comment on his martial ability or his ability to teach. I will say I've watched a few videos and it's all avout liking and subscribing for ad revenue and buying his online course.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd defer to somebody who knows more about kung fu, but I can't help having the impression he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many more people who are more knowledgeable and skilled than Jake Mace. Unfortunately, few of those people are as good at promoting themselves on the net.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it Jake Mace that started the horse stance challenge? I think that's a good thing, for a bit of endurance fun. Apart from that, he has so far not impressed me to be honest. But that's not to say he's bad in any way. He does what he does. He seems to enjoy it.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems like a kung fu/Chinese martial arts historian. I think the knock on him is that, he gives the impression that he has absolute mastery in ALL forms of kung fu styles. But to me, he seems like Bert Sugar of Kung Fu except he is avid about his fitness and living a healthy life style.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only chinese art I've ever studied is Fu Jow Pai so I can not comment on whether he is a good source for CMA based on a few vids I watched. However I did find a Tiger "Kung Fu" vid and all I can say is I doubt he learned this from an actual Sifu. Maybe out of a book or a vid on youtube but you can tell its not a main art for him.

In watching a few of his videos (by the way a lot of Jake is fake vids out there) I tend to agree with RW.

Not saying that he doesn't have exposure to CMA's but the way he moves and the fact that he doesn't use traditional names for the techniques would lead me to believe that exposure was limited. Master he is not. At least for the vids (styles) I watched.

I didn't have time to view all of them so maybe there is one art(style) he is very proficient in.

But again I do not know the guy and have never taken any of the arts he is teaching minus Tiger so I'm am not an expert. Just my opinion.

I did however find vids by others (Chinese Sifu) and could tell a huge difference but again this was just my observation.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little information available online through his websites, there is no clear indication that the man has any significant training in a specific established system/style, Chinese or otherwise. It appears to be his own eclectic mix of things he “picked up” from various sources. He is in great shape, but great shape does not equal skill/knowledge in martial arts.

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He kinda seems like the Richard Simmons of the martial arts world, to me

Truth is - I don't know. The dude might be able to stomp me into a comma, he might not be able to take on my kid, I have no clue. I DO know I'm not a fan of his videos. Just something about his perspective that clashes with my path. Master Wong, love his videos. Fight Science (the black British guy), watch lots of em. Fight Tips (kid named Shane), watch a lot of him. Jake Mace, I skip it. This is just one Ape's opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jake's take on martial arts is none aggressive which is not suitable or palatable for many that are, he does however have a healthy new age approach to living, that at the end of the day, he just might out live us all, including his critics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: