Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we start getting to the middle ranks and we're more likely to want to explore different things, share with other martial artists, etc, my instructor would always make sure to tell us "I teach it this way because ________. Other people do it that way because _______. Neither is wrong, but I want you to do it this way."

He makes sure we know that the way we do it is not how everyone else does it and that that's ok. I mean, coming from Isshinryu we're kinda use to that already as the whole world thinks we form a fist and punch wrong.

Even within my school, different people do it differently. One instructor may be teaching you a kata and tell you to do it one way. Another may work with you the next day and have you do it a different way. It doesn't happen in the beginning kata, but for the intermediate kata and above, if you go to the head instructor about the differences he'll just tell you "when you're working with Mr. Lee do it his way. When you're working with Mr. Cassidy do it his way. They're both right". I think that's the attitude to have. Karate is so diverse and ever-changing that arguing about what's right or wrong makes no sense.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Once we start getting to the middle ranks and we're more likely to want to explore different things, share with other martial artists, etc, my instructor would always make sure to tell us "I teach it this way because ________. Other people do it that way because _______. Neither is wrong, but I want you to do it this way."

He makes sure we know that the way we do it is not how everyone else does it and that that's ok. I mean, coming from Isshinryu we're kinda use to that already as the whole world thinks we form a fist and punch wrong.

Even within my school, different people do it differently. One instructor may be teaching you a kata and tell you to do it one way. Another may work with you the next day and have you do it a different way. It doesn't happen in the beginning kata, but for the intermediate kata and above, if you go to the head instructor about the differences he'll just tell you "when you're working with Mr. Lee do it his way. When you're working with Mr. Cassidy do it his way. They're both right". I think that's the attitude to have. Karate is so diverse and ever-changing that arguing about what's right or wrong makes no sense.

I absolutely agree with everything you said, except when you're with one instructor do it one way and do it another way with a different instructor. If it's different schools, that's one thing, but within the same school it should be consistent and not vary depending on who's running class.

Just my opinion. And no, I don't think mine is THE way (wouldn't that go against the intent of the thread if my way was the right way? ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: