Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Is Karate becoming too political? Reply with quote

As I've advanced in my training, I've noticed more and more politics among karateka, whether it's about bunkai, how deep your zenkutsu is, etc. A few months ago, I posted a video of me performing Ananku on social media. I just like sharing what I do! Other ranks saw it and ripped everything apart, telling me everything I did wrong. My Sensei, the big man, stepped in and said he preferred the way that I was doing things, according to my body type.

Not going to lie, it really killed my motivation to have everyone telling me how bad I looked doing something I'm very passionate about. REST ASSURED, My Sensei put everyone in their place. I was told not to post Kata on social media, but why not? I don't think we should keep from sharing our passions, through fear of being cut down.

That's just my personal example of the politics I see in karate, but I see it everywhere, all the time. What are your thoughts? Any stories?[/url]

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think this issue is unique to martial arts. I ran into this all the time in academia, and pretty much at every job. Don't let it get to you. People suck, in general.

Our school had a bit of a split. One of our instructors wanted to do things his way, so he left. The split was amicable.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Karate becoming too political?

It already is too political, and has been that way since the creation of Karate. This is due to the sad fact that wherever human beings are involved, things of well meant intent, tend to muddle up a good thing faster than grease lighting.

A governing body isn't needed to insert politics into Karate!! Human beings involvement are quite sufficient in doing that all by themselves. However, the creation of a governing body tends to solidify the underlying manipulations of possession of ruling over other human beings.

I don't speak as someone who is from outside, but more as someone who has been in the inside for quite some time. I was once part of the SKKA's Regents, and am currently the SKKA/Hombu Kaicho [President]. What I've witnessed from the inside for these many, many years is enough to force one to take notice, and to take a very long pause in a state of bewilderment.

Want to avoid the surge of politics in Karate?? Then, train by yourself, teach yourself, promote yourself, and be by yourself, having only you to manage!! But not so fast!! Forces outside of yourself will embed you with politics whether you've control or not over yourself.

You want tomatoes?? Then guess what?? You have to go to the tomato vendor, and not to the watermelon vendor!! And both of those vendors are deeply ensconced in politics of their own making as well as the established politics of government, whether it be at the local, state, and/or federal level. These vendors will force you to abide by their rules and regulations if you want to buy from either of these vendors. It's, and it'll be your choice, one way or another.

In life, there will always be someone and/or something to tell you what to and not to do everyday of your life.

I doubt that Karate can function and/or survive without politics; it's a Catch-22...the impossible solution to attain.

As far as you being told what your doing, Karate wise, is wrong!! Ignore them!! Your Sensei is the FINAL WORD!! Others might be well intended, but their dead wrong because they're not your Sensei. Not today...not tomorrow!! Their opinion isn't wanted, and more importantly, their not that important!! Everyone has opinions!! However, your Sensei's opinion is the only one that matters, and is that important.

No matter how I might differ with what your Sensei is teaching you, his teachings trump my opinion automatically. Not lend an ear to those who are not your Sensei!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's this way with everything no matter whether it is Karate, a different martial art or something else. You only have to look at the number of governing bodies for different things to see how political it is.

But maybe nowadays with the prevalence of social media it is easier for people to see, comment, and criticise. So-called keyboard warriors.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would say that karate has been too political for a very long time, I think what you described is less politics and more ego. There are plenty of people out there ready to rip you apart for how you do things, but they are also not willing to post a video of themselves for comparison. Keyboard warriors and kuchi-bushi (mouth warriors) show up all the time on the Internet. As someone who posts videos of himself doing karate pretty often, I get some of that, as well. Thankfully, that can usually be resolved by ignoring it, or responding with WHY we do something the way we do it, because most people making those types of comments can only answer "why?" with "because Sensei said so."
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
While I would say that karate has been too political for a very long time, I think what you described is less politics and more ego. There are plenty of people out there ready to rip you apart for how you do things, but they are also not willing to post a video of themselves for comparison. Keyboard warriors and kuchi-bushi (mouth warriors) show up all the time on the Internet. As someone who posts videos of himself doing karate pretty often, I get some of that, as well. Thankfully, that can usually be resolved by ignoring it, or responding with WHY we do something the way we do it, because most people making those types of comments can only answer "why?" with "because Sensei said so."

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

Spot on Wastelander.

There will always be people who say "You're doing it wrong", For me there will always be difference in how people do things in Karate.

For instance we both could perform the Kata Anan (Reference for those who don't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcIawzE2ns). However since we are of different heights + weights, along with various other factors will mean that we both will perform the exact same pattern. But with emphasis on different areas and how we move for it.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to break than make.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, YES.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger the governing body is the more political it gets. In general. Whenever things other than training, learning and teaching become a goal, there will be politics. Wherever there are gains of any kind such as influence, profits et cetera there will be politics.

It is impossible to avoid completely because it is part of human nature and has probably been going on since the first sensei started to teach more than one person at a time. The only difference between now and then is that there are many more issues to be political about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: