Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
42 is pretty old to be competing professionally. It's probably not a reflection on his style, but more so a reflection of dealing with younger competition.

Good thing there's a Senior Division!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Karate is alive and kicking!

Also punching! Sometimes throwing! Definitely finger striking.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
42 is pretty old to be competing professionally. It's probably not a reflection on his style, but more so a reflection of dealing with younger competition.

I'm not so sure there is a senior MMA division. There isn't a senior or masters UFC division, that's for sure.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I'm not so sure there is a senior MMA division. There isn't a senior or masters UFC division, that's for sure.

Glad for that. I was referring to Karate Tournaments.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for necroposting but I wanted to add what I think about this topic.

I believe what we should first discuss is what was the reason karate lost its popularity in the first place.
One of the main reasons is that karate has too many styles in my opinion, and some of those instead of working together they compete and criticize each other.
Even in a single style there might be several organisations. This might confuse new members.

Another issue might be a loop but there is too little adults training, at least in my area.
In my case I was the only adult in class other than the trainer. Only when few teens bacame adults themselves it changed. But they left once they started working.
So sparring was a rarity.
Also class shedule and payment metod is a issue. I rarely saw classes on saturdays and sundays. And being forced to pay for a month in advance is also problematic.

Is karate making a comeback? Im not sure, but it definately has potential. What it needs the most is unity, effectivness and with those will come third thing - recognition.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of adults in classes is a huge thing. A few decades ago, it wasn't uncommon to have decent sized classes of adults showing up. I don't know what's changed, but adults don't seem as interested in training anymore.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevinyrral wrote:
Sorry for necroposting but I wanted to add what I think about this topic.

I believe what we should first discuss is what was the reason karate lost its popularity in the first place.
One of the main reasons is that karate has too many styles in my opinion, and some of those instead of working together they compete and criticize each other.
Even in a single style there might be several organisations. This might confuse new members.

Another issue might be a loop but there is too little adults training, at least in my area.
In my case I was the only adult in class other than the trainer. Only when few teens bacame adults themselves it changed. But they left once they started working.
So sparring was a rarity.
Also class shedule and payment metod is a issue. I rarely saw classes on saturdays and sundays. And being forced to pay for a month in advance is also problematic.

Is karate making a comeback? Im not sure, but it definately has potential. What it needs the most is unity, effectivness and with those will come third thing - recognition.

I have not posted for a long time and I came back and saw this thread I made long time ago. I now have my answer and the answer is a big ole... NO!

Sadly its not coming back. Even cobra kai moved on from the karate tradition and now its like a warring martial art faction as oppose to karate tradition. No belts at all, from everyone being white belt to all of a sudden everyone is either a black belt or they are training in P.E outfit. Focus is less on karate and more sports fighting, prison break, teen and adult drama.

Major props for mentioning Tang Soo Do. Super grateful but even the legendary Master Kim Sun Yung was seen wearing what seemed like a Kung Fu outfit that looks somewhat like Taekkyon.

As oppose to karate, it feels more like Okinawan martial arts vs Korean martial arts. Great show and I love it but the element of karate traditions are very much absent. While in karate kid movies, the traditional Gi was presented by all sides.

bushido_man96 wrote:
Lack of adults in classes is a huge thing. A few decades ago, it wasn't uncommon to have decent sized classes of adults showing up. I don't know what's changed, but adults don't seem as interested in training anymore.

Why learn Tang Soo Do when you can use the deadly art of I Sue You!

But all joking aside, I notice this big time. Even the Dojang I train do not really have an adult classes that are fruitful. I believe everyone is gravitating towards kickboxing and MMA. Get fit, lose weight, get the abs and look good. Its more fitness oriented now a days. Even boxing and MMA gyms have the added the word fitness to their business or school name.

I believe with social media, the focus is more on visual. If you look good, then there is more value than some Taoist wisdom. That and its possible that people no longer respect traditional martial arts because of the rise of MMA. Or maybe life is so stressful because everything is more expensive that there is a lack of interest in learning subtle aspects of martial arts. Just go home, uber eat and watch some Netflix and call it a day.

This is what I am seeing to be honest with you. Not just martial arts but a lack of curiosity and adventure for life.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that is a thing. Adults just don't seem motivated to do much with their free time outside the home.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if people stuck to the real Karate format, then MMA would not even be an issue. I believe that for the most part, it speaks to very different demographics. I am actually making my dojo more old school. I am making the training more difficult, and the children and parents are responding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: