Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Seafarer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Is learn using bo staff at home possible? Reply with quote

Hi all hands.
I have never do anything about martial arts. I really want use a bo staff like a master but in my country, there isnt an instructor. I want to learn it from internet. Is it possible? Anyone can help me?

Note: I made a bo staff. Chestnut, 175 cm(same with me), 3 cm thickness (straight)

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Seafarer.

You can learn to do basic forms and do some nice tricks with staff from videos.
But what would be hard to learn is using staff for self defence if you learn alone without instructor.

And could you tell us what martial arts are available in your city?

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Seafarer,

Certainly! More than most components of martial arts, non-sparring weapons training is probably one of the things that can be most effectively learned at home/virtually. The key is to know what to look for in your own technique, in emulating others, and in judging what is good/bad on the internet.

I'm not familiar with many (any) people who train the staff primarily for self-defense (if that happens to be your case, there's probably another conversation to be had), so I'm assuming you are training for some mix of fitness, coordination, and/or commitment to the art/weapon. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube. Personally, I'd recommend sticking with traditional Japanese/Okinawan (kobudo) or Chinese (wushu) styles. There is a lot of flashier stuff out there, but, in my opinion, that's really not sticking true to the history or art of the staff. Others may disagree.

Best of luck with your training!

Seafarer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevinyrral wrote:
Hello Seafarer.

You can learn to do basic forms and do some nice tricks with staff from videos.
But what would be hard to learn is using staff for self defence if you learn alone without instructor.

And could you tell us what martial arts are available in your city?

Karate and taekwondo but both of them for kids.
Wing chun and maybe Wushu

vantheman wrote:
Hello Seafarer,

Certainly! More than most components of martial arts, non-sparring weapons training is probably one of the things that can be most effectively learned at home/virtually. The key is to know what to look for in your own technique, in emulating others, and in judging what is good/bad on the internet.

I'm not familiar with many (any) people who train the staff primarily for self-defense (if that happens to be your case, there's probably another conversation to be had), so I'm assuming you are training for some mix of fitness, coordination, and/or commitment to the art/weapon. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube. Personally, I'd recommend sticking with traditional Japanese/Okinawan (kobudo) or Chinese (wushu) styles. There is a lot of flashier stuff out there, but, in my opinion, that's really not sticking true to the history or art of the staff. Others may disagree.

Best of luck with your training!

Thank you. I think staff workouts can improve my grip/shoulder strength and coordination and help for self defence. Can you suggest an online instructior ?

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wushu should have weapons training.
And training in a group is always better than alone.
You can meet new people, and its easier to stay motivated.
You could ask instructor if he knows any staff technique.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stick/staff is one of the oldest and most common weapon. There are hundreds of codified systems from cultures everywhere in the world. If the OP wishes to learn one of these, the decision should first consider what is available nearby. As far as online resources or media such as DVD’s, East Asian(China, Korea and Okinawa) styles are probably the most common, but with a little searching it is possible to find learning materials from all sorts of sources on the use of the staff/stick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: