Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kodiak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Parkour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Is MMA training available to teens? Reply with quote

What the title says, as well as other combative martial arts that lack the philosophies of more traditional arts.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The philosophy of an MMA school is that of it's instructor. The same can be said of traditional schools.

I've seen traditional schools with arrogant students and mma students who are model citizens. It's more about the teacher and screening students than what the art is. It's not safe to assume that sending your kid to a traditional class will make them a better person. If your kid can be influenced, a jerk for a teacher will make them a jerk. I say IF they can be influenced because basic personality traits are pretty well ingrained by teen years. It's also hard to improve a teen's attitude. They have to want to improve or no amount of yes sir no sirs will make a difference.

I have no problem with teaching teens to defend themselves and prepare to compete when they are old enough. I just don't want students who have a violent nature. If they go around picking fights, they're out of class.

Also, a lot of high schools have a wrestling program.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Is pretty much right about this. However, assuming you or whoever you know that is under 18 isn't a jerk, I'd offer the following advice:

If you're in high school, get involved in wrestling, a little bit of weight lifting, and if available, track. Track will provide pretty great general fitness, the weight program that something like the football team uses would provide good strength training, and wrestling is actually a martial art.
In regards to a gym, look for classes that offer the building blocks of MMA. Judo, Sambo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, and Boxing all offer great tools for MMA, and have competition built into them.

I think, personally, that we'll soon see a kid who started wrestling and BJJ at 4 or 5 years old. He'll take up Judo and Sambo, and start competing in those four arts by the time he's 7. He'll run track, and cross country by the time he's in Jr. High, and at ten years old or so, he'll start the striking arts. He'll still be competing in the grappling arts, but at 14 he'll add amateur boxing to the mix, and at 16, he'll add amateur Kickboxing and Muay Thai. At 18, this kid won't have one minute of MMA experience, but he'll have years of striking and grappling behind him. He'll be killer.

Back to reality: MMA, by definition is a mixture of martial arts - pick up as many as you can, and immerse yourself into them as deep as possible, and when you're both old and skilled enough, you can apply your abilities and experience toward fighting people in a cage.

Also, apparently at the time of this post, I'm the member of the month. I was pretty confused when I saw the Shinya Aoki colored belt.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
MP Is pretty much right about this. However, assuming you or whoever you know that is under 18 isn't a jerk, I'd offer the following advice:

If you're in high school, get involved in wrestling, a little bit of weight lifting, and if available, track. Track will provide pretty great general fitness, the weight program that something like the football team uses would provide good strength training, and wrestling is actually a martial art.
In regards to a gym, look for classes that offer the building blocks of MMA. Judo, Sambo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, and Boxing all offer great tools for MMA, and have competition built into them.

I agree with Liver Punch here, and Master Pain above. This is all good advice. Wrestling, aside from being a great Martial Art, is great for conditioning. Running is something I never did, and looking back, probably should have. I have about zero stamina.

As far as a general MMA gym training teens goes, you could probably find one if you live in the right area. Make sure it is focused training, though, and not just a bunch of guys who want to get together and slug on each other, a la Fight Club. I'd make sure you've got someone running the show, and has structured training sessions that include sparring.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong...but...I don't see too many mom's allowing their teens to do MMA.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I think there are lots of teens that get into Boxing, so I don't know that it would be much different if MMA were available. It would depend on the parents, too.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I could be wrong...but...I don't see too many mom's allowing their teens to do MMA.

There is a big difference between training and competing. I've seen several older teenagers come through our buddy's gym.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

There is a big difference between training and competing. I've seen several older teenagers come through our buddy's gym.

Not to a mom who's totally in the dark about the art/style. Mom's will always be protective over their children no matter their age(s), imho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: