Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Is Tang Soo Do still relevant? Reply with quote

Since this is a day of retrospective at KF, I think this is a question worth asking. Times change, right? Just like there's web alternatives to forums like this now, there's also so many alternatives and expanded knowledge in martial arts.

Indeed, it was 20 years ago I answered this question for myself, "Yes", but not in the same way. The things we do in life, like getting an education, become part of us, and with that, we move on with those skills and experience.

There's a Zen saying, "Once you cross the stream, you don't need to keep carrying the boat".

And so it is for me- I still practice the techniques, the principles I learned back then, and more. But it is became a basis for me to build on. I come to KF for a reminder of those roots, that the learning is still valid today, even if what I practice now looks different.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great retrospect. I think instead of asking, "Is it still relevant?" the appropriate question would be "How do I keep it relevant?" If this includes different ways of looking at the self-defense aspects, application training, etc, it's important for us as Martial Artists to continue to work and to make sure what we do is still relevant.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it being relevant isn't relevant anymore whenever it comes to my martial art betterment. I train in Shindokan, more importantly, the MA because I want to, and not for any other reasons. If anything needs to be relevant, is my MA journey, and not the style of said MA.

How can something be deemed irrelevant when it's still inside of ones heart of hearts...how can it be dead within me if it's alive to me...it's not dead, and if it's dead inside of me...who wrote the death certificate...anyone ever conduct an autopsy...anyone knows that when something is dead, that the next of kin must be notified...I'm the next of kin, and nobody notified me at all!!

It's relevant to me, and if it's not to others, then they train their way and I'll train mine.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you mean by relevant. Does it enrich your life or take away from it? If your main goal is self defense you can adapt your current training or you can find something else. If your goal is fitness and wellbeing likewise.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
It depends what you mean by relevant. Does it enrich your life or take away from it? If your main goal is self defense you can adapt your current training or you can find something else. If your goal is fitness and wellbeing likewise.

Solid post!!

How the relevancy's used.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its very relevant because it is the glue that can bind boxing with traditional martial arts together.

Tang Soo Do is a mixed traditional martial arts. For an MMA fighter who wants to learn some traditional martial arts can enjoy the colorful techniques of Tang Soo Do since it has hand techniques, various kicks from taekwondo and old school karate as well as various moves from Kung Fu.

In a way, Tang Soo Do is a form of karate that is more flexible in ideology and in kicking techniques. Yet its not free style karate. Also there is different Tang Soo Do styles. Some are more like karate and some look like modern taekwondo but most look like a bit of both with kung fu flavor.

Its a beautiful art form and it has the perfect blend of being open minded but also rooted in a culture.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Zen saying, "Once you cross the stream, you don't need to keep carrying the boat".

First of all, I love this quote. Now, what if you want to cross over that same stream again? What if you forgot some supplies? What if you want to try crossing that stream without a boat? What if you’re simply carrying the boat to become stronger?

I think that was a little cheesy, but you get what I’m saying. On my martial arts journey, I went from BJJ, to Muay Thai/Boxing/BJJ, to Okinawan Karate, back to BJJ, back to Okinawan Karate, back to Muay Thai, back to BJJ, and now I’m in Tang Soo Do (I love it) with some BJJ on the side. I’ve constantly gone back and forth with something that many consider to be outdated, and something that many others consider to be one of the most effective ways to train.

I love the traditional ways of training. It’s good for my mind, it’s good for my soul. I prefer it, actually. But when I’ve gotten in fights in the past, I’ve always relied on my BJJ - so I still train in that. Does that make Tang Soo Do or Karatedo irrelevant? Not for me! I still need it. So I’m going to keep doing it.

In terms of self defense. I mean, it’s still kicking, punching and various body mechanics that relate to combat. So if I’m standing and the fight hasn’t gone to the ground yet or we get back up, I like to think I’m still more prepared for that than the average joe.

Great post! Very thought provoking.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Soo bhak do and Tang so doo one and the same?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:

If I recall, Soo Bhak was a style in ancient Korea, and when modern Korean styles started to take shape in the 1940s and after, I think some of the stylists cobbled onto the name in order to reflect it as a Korean traditional style. I believe Soo Bhak is mentioned in the Muye Dobo Tongi.

But I could be wrong...

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shojiko wrote:

My understanding is yes. Under Tang Soo Do's largest association (Moo Duk Kwan), the name of the art was changed to Soo Bahk Do. I believe "Soo Bahk Do" is actually trademarked, which makes it illegal for any dojang outside of Moo Duk Kwan to call its art "Soo Bakh Do."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: