Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Gratia
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Senpais! I'll practice hard, although I'm really attracted to join full contact Kyokushin someday but wouldn't it be too late for a 24 yo kid like me who just started?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratia wrote:
Thanks much Senpais! I'll practice hard, although I'm really attracted to join full contact Kyokushin someday but wouldn't it be too late for a 24 yo kid like me who just started?

It's never late for anyone in any MA, imho.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratia wrote:

I had MA background prior but just started Kyokushin earler this year, and I turned 50 in June. Plan on avoiding full knockdown stuff when I can (don't bounce back from pain/injury like I used to) but otherwise I don't see any problems...

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
ISN'T THE MA GREAT!! I LOVE IT TO PIECES!!

So true !!!

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratia wrote:

too late at 24? You've just started life, the bit before now was learning basics, this period is when you should be training the hardest to be the best at everything you can be - work, play, the lot!
Later in life - like another 24 years you may start to slow down a bit but not by much.
At 45 I can run rings around EVERYONE in my Dojo and most at the Dojo's where I do my training, age is just a number. One of the Sensei I train with is 61 and hard as nails, fit as a fiddle. Growing old is mostly in the mind but don't waste a minute getting there.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
Gratia wrote:

too late at 24? You've just started life, the bit before now was learning basics, this period is when you should be training the hardest to be the best at everything you can be - work, play, the lot!
Later in life - like another 24 years you may start to slow down a bit but not by much.
At 45 I can run rings around EVERYONE in my Dojo and most at the Dojo's where I do my training, age is just a number. One of the Sensei I train with is 61 and hard as nails, fit as a fiddle. Growing old is mostly in the mind but don't waste a minute getting there.

Solid post!!

Gratia
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Senpais! Thanks for the advises again. I'll be taking my 6th Kyu test this Saturday and I'm so excited. One question that bothers me though is if it's normal to be jumping ranks? I mean, does it not violate any philosophical matters or principles of martial arts?(it's not that I don't trust my sensei but just a thought).

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear alarm bells, you need time and training at each and every level as the journey should be gradual and not rushed.
if you are being graded higher then there needs to be a very good reason, hopefully not because you paid extra money...
there are plenty of McDojo's and belt factories out there who will happily accellerate anyone who shows some enthusiasm, skill and extra money. You do not have to accept it.

if i were you then i would go and speak to other clubs and people who have trained for lots of years, you may be in a bad dojo but won't notice it yet. If someone came to me from one of the clubs near me then i would be honest with them. One is rubbish and another more interested in money or getting certain students to black belt quickly so they can add to the number of instructors - IF this is the case then your MA will suffer. Be cautious...

Gratia
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mal103-senpai. I actually felt it few weeks after when I started. Unfortunately, it's the only dojo in town so I don't actually have a choice. But what I'm doing though, I watch videos from masters like Sensei Oscar Higa, Sensei Morio Higaona,and Sensei Masatsu Oyama. Also bought Mas Oyama's complete karate course book. We only practice weekends since of of the karateka's are students. And without telling my sensei, I secretly practice a little Goju-ryu and other styles of those I mentioned above. Please lend me your guidance senpais.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep training and research anything that looks interesting, be wary about trying to learn too much, it is better to learn 2 things really well than 5 things to an "okay" standard.

It should be your choice to grade, maybe speak with your Sensei and say you are uncomfortable about skipping grades or ask to only go up 1 grade.

I have someone who was 1 grade ahead of someone in another club, recently they realised that person is now 1 ahead, it's not a race! The standard will be much better for those that take their time in EVERY grade and they will make much better MAists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: