Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Gratia
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Is this normal? Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I just registered in this site hoping to find answers and help. I'm a newbie in training Martial Arts but I have been dreaming of it ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately I only started at the age of 24 and its been only 3 months since I started training. And now, almost all day I can't stop thinking about karate. Even at night, if I accidentally open my eyes, my arms move on their own blocking and punching. And not only that, I don't know if this is weird, I have been learning techniques, and each technique that I learn, I'm getting more and more afraid with respect to how deadly the technique is. Is this normal?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start by welcoming you to KF; glad that you're here!!

Is what you're feeling normal? My short answer: YES!! Some act similar while others don't and others even more so!! Overall...YES!!

There's nothing wrong with your actions and thoughts and all concerning the MA. After a trillion years, I still do the same exact thing as you've described. My every waking moment involves me doing and/or thinking about the MA in some capacity or another.

WHY?

You're slowly falling in love with what the MA is meaning to you. And, with everything that you love about the MA, you'll have moments where you hate the MA; a love and hate relationship with the MA is normal.

Your MA journey is just that...YOURS!! You decide! You control! You...you...you...because the MA journey must be personal, and oftentimes, private to the practitioner.

I've loved and hated, mostly loved, the MA for nearly 50 years; I can't see me doing anything else. I wake up thinking about the MA...I spend the whole day/night thinking about the MA....I fall asleep thinking about the MA. Not only thinking about the MA, but training the MA.

Are we, you and I different? No! We're both MAists that have fallen in love, head over heels, with the MA. Hopefully, we'll never lose the love for the MA!! If we do, then so be it, and if we don't, then so be it also.

AlwaysInTraining
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same thing when i first started. I went to my instructor at the time and he said "yes but your not going to use them on anyone are you?" which summed it all up nicely for me. He was the right because the only time your ever going to use the techniques is when in class under controlled conditions or in a situation where you have no choice but to act and get away. Unless your somesort of nutcase (which im sure your not) I wouldnt worry about it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlwaysInTraining wrote:
I went through the same thing when i first started. I went to my instructor at the time and he said "yes but your not going to use them on anyone are you?" which summed it all up nicely for me. He was the right because the only time your ever going to use the techniques is when in class under controlled conditions or in a situation where you have no choice but to act and get away. Unless your somesort of nutcase (which im sure your not) I wouldnt worry about it.

Solid post!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid you are experiencing the symptoms of EKS--Enthusiastic Karateka Syndrome. This disease is fairly common amongst new karateka, and most people with this affliction will go on to live healthy, productive lives.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Gratia
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your guide Sensei8-senpai, AlwaysTraining-senpai and Wastelander-senpai. Because sometimes I can't sleep knowing that I have something dangerous.

One quick question though, without Karate-gi, is it normal for a punch to make a grumbling/shaking sound?

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what you are feeling is completely normal. I resumed my karate training 18 months ago, after an absence of 26 years. 90% of my day is spent thinking about Karate. I practice techniques in the shower, in the locker room at work, in front of the mirror in my bedroom and even just walking from the living room to the kitchen I've found myself busting out a soto-uke or tobikomizuki. On class days I have ants in my pants all day until it's time to go. I've filled my mum and dad's garage with punchbags and weights so I can train on non-class days, I've bought books and dvd's on my style and spend countless hours at work on youtube looking at videos and scouring through old posts on Karate Forums for useful hints and tips (don't tell my boss )
It all points to Wastelander's diagnosis of EKS. It's not a bad thing by any means, I like to think it shows my commitment to my personal journey and eventual target of gaining my black belt. Will it stop? Who knows! Like Sensei8 says, after 5 decades, he's still head over heels in love with the MAs. I hope I'm like that in the years to come.
Welcome to KF and I hope your journey takes you everywhere you want to go.

Mo.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid you are experiencing the symptoms of EKS--Enthusiastic Karateka Syndrome. This disease is fairly common amongst new karateka, and most people with this affliction will go on to live healthy, productive lives.

ROFL So true... In some cases, one may experience REKS, Residual Enthusiastic Karateka Syndrome... Even with my 25 years of MA, I still find myself doing it!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratia wrote:
Thank you for your guide Sensei8-senpai, AlwaysTraining-senpai and Wastelander-senpai. Because sometimes I can't sleep knowing that I have something dangerous.

One quick question though, without Karate-gi, is it normal for a punch to make a grumbling/shaking sound?

You will get better at sleeping, over time. I can't promise that you won't dream about it, though!

Your punches can make noise without a gi, but it's usually from your skin slapping together--even if you don't think it is, a high-speed camera will show that it is happening. That's perfectly normal. If there is any sort of grinding from your joints, then you should have a doctor check those joints to make sure they are in good condition.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISN'T THE MA GREAT!! I LOVE IT TO PIECES!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: