Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Isami Karate Gi question Reply with quote

stoneheart wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
Hi All

Failing that is there another brand/gi that people would recommend as a similar alternative quality wise (without getting into the realms of £300!)

Thanks!

Tokaido has long been a standard in Shotokan. Go with the ones made in Japan - there is indeed a difference I can see and feel in the fabric and cut despite what some people will say on the internet.

Thanks! I opted for a Ki one as the price seemed quite reasonable (relatively speaking). I've not heard anything other than good things about Tokaido, and can see myself getting one, but i will likely wait a little longer until i have been back at karate for more time.

I don't want to be 'that guy' who is pretty junior and turns up wearing a mega expensive gi!

stoneheart
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Isami Karate Gi question Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
stoneheart wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
Hi All

Failing that is there another brand/gi that people would recommend as a similar alternative quality wise (without getting into the realms of £300!)

Thanks!

Tokaido has long been a standard in Shotokan. Go with the ones made in Japan - there is indeed a difference I can see and feel in the fabric and cut despite what some people will say on the internet.

Thanks! I opted for a Ki one as the price seemed quite reasonable (relatively speaking). I've not heard anything other than good things about Tokaido, and can see myself getting one, but i will likely wait a little longer until i have been back at karate for more time.

I don't want to be 'that guy' who is pretty junior and turns up wearing a mega expensive gi!

Nothing wrong with it. Mindset is important. If a quality uniform inspires one to train more frequently and with greater intensity, no one should find any issue with it. Besides if you use a uniform 2x a week, the cost quickly goes down per use if you take care of them. I have Tokaido I have worn 200 times and more.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Isami Karate Gi question Reply with quote

stoneheart wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
stoneheart wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
Hi All

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with it. Mindset is important. If a quality uniform inspires one to train more frequently and with greater intensity, no one should find any issue with it. Besides if you use a uniform 2x a week, the cost quickly goes down per use if you take care of them. I have Tokaido I have worn 200 times and more.

Fair point. In my head is more of an incentive thing too where i "earn it". same as for bjj i have a no black gi until purple belt rule in my head. No reason for it really but it helps my mentality.

Am pretty sure i will likely end up with a Tokaido at some point, but i will make an agreement with myself to "earn" it

Odd i know but just how my mind works sometimes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: