Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

maisweh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also flat footed. alot of those schools teach to be flat footed, where as most places with good tournament teams have them bouncing around and light on their feet.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To compete in ISKA your best bet is to join a kickboxing group that actively participates in those tournaments. TKD would be a good base, I know a number of ITF TKD guys that have had success on similar circuits but kickboxing would be a better choice IMHO. If you joined a TKD dojang then you'd also be spending time doing the forms and other work not directly related to this type of competition. Also in the majority of cases I think the style of sparring in kickboxing might be more in line with what you want.

Mike1969
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'm still looking. Tonight I will go to two TKD schools to check them out. I've already done a "free" class in one of them, but I need to see if they focus on traditional TKD or Sport TKD. The workout was great but there was little to no energy in the class. They were just kicking, no kiay's, no exhaling, no sounds at all. I'm spinning, kicking, sweating all over the place and making all sorts of grunts and kiay's. When the Sensei would give us a command I would answer, Yes Sir! They would look at me like I was a looney. Very quiet dojo. weird, or maybe I'm weird. Not sure. Is your dojo loud or quiet?

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take that 2-boob/1boob concept to my school. Great way to look at it and it's something that will stick in brain. I sort of get caught in the 1.5 boob too often.
I've been to 2 NASKA nationals this year and have seen some really good fighting, point and continuous.

maisweh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike, what part of florida are you from? florida has ALOT of schools that compete NASKA, and if you can give me a city, i can reccomend you a school to try out.

Mike1969
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome!!! I'm getting a little depressed trying to find one. My city is Coral Springs, zip 33065. Thank you thank you thank you!

maisweh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami Central:
Alex Reyes. 3rd Degree BB - 786.333.0753
If you can make the drive, I HIGHLY reccommend this guy ^^^^

Coral Springs:
Stephen Tsaclas. 4th Degree - 954.326.0991

http://www.eastwestkarateboca.com/about_us.html
^^ i think this is lauren kearney's instructor, shes on team JPM, but i havent heard much about it

I say give Alex a call, hes the coach of team WKF and if its too far of a drive, he can point you at a great school in the area

skullsplitter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you are in relation to Orlando. On July 5th and 6th ISKA holds their US Open at Disney's Coronado Springs. You could probably get a good feel for the ISKA/NASKA fighting there and maybe find some info on a local school too.

Mike1969
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Guys,
The Reyes family is excellent, although too far for me to train there. I will however be looking into their tournaments once I get a good year of training under my belt. I will call Stephen and see what he recommends if his school is too far, I'm not sure yet. Orlando is 3 hours away but I already have my tickets and reservations for the US Open. i cant wait. Thanks guys for all your help, it is much appreciated.
Mike

Mike1969
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
To compete in ISKA your best bet is to join a kickboxing group that actively participates in those tournaments. TKD would be a good base, I know a number of ITF TKD guys that have had success on similar circuits but kickboxing would be a better choice IMHO. If you joined a TKD dojang then you'd also be spending time doing the forms and other work not directly related to this type of competition. Also in the majority of cases I think the style of sparring in kickboxing might be more in line with what you want.

I have found a few kickboxing schools, but they are not dojos and do not give belts, more like fitness gyms. Looks like I'm going to have to suffer through learning katas in order to get the training I need to spar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: