Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: ISKA...Hhhmmmm Reply with quote

Was just watching some ISKA on ESPN and I've just got to say...sport karate isn't karate.

Having said that, the "trick" divisions are what's the rage of the page, and have been so for such along time now. When I watched it today, I asked myself, what does that have to do with anything karate?

Then I answered myself, for what they do, I can't. It's a division of its own, and I have to be more tolerant with the modern way sport karate has evolved.

Now, I did get my fix when I saw the "Traditional" divisions. SOLID!!

I'm still wondering what all of the very loud and long kiai's are all about, but, showmanship in the "trick" divisions was front and center.

Your thoughts?!

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ISKA...Hhhmmmm Reply with quote

Excellence at anything is admirable...but I'm not so fond of the glow stick twirling stuff either.

Last edited by AdamKralic on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that being said? My son is not a part of the Wu Shu looking stuff. They are a different set of kids with a different set of instructors. I also am not a big fan of it all...but I get it.

In sport karate as you can get used to fighting "situations" in a safe controlled environment. I like that there are many, many, many opponents to face as you go around the various tournaments.

But I would like something similar but "better?" Any suggestions over what offers similar adrenaline situations against an opponent?

maisweh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamKralic wrote:
that being said? My son is not a part of the Wu Shu looking stuff. They are a different set of kids with a different set of instructors. I also am not a big fan of it all...but I get it.

In sport karate as you can get used to fighting "situations" in a safe controlled environment. I like that there are many, many, many opponents to face as you go around the various tournaments.

But I would like something similar but "better?" Any suggestions over what offers similar adrenaline situations against an opponent?

football, mma, bjj, paintball...

anyway,i dont feel that creative/extreme is more "popular", its just thats what ISKA,blitzkick,tournamentnewsonline, and sportmartialarts.com all "push".you dont see nearly as move coverage for fighting or traditional forms. at an event two weeks ago there was 3 times as many fighters as there was "trickers" which give some hope to humanity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: