Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be a pocket inside the gi jacket, under the side that folds over on top. No-one should be getting their fingers caught in that either. Obviously would depend what you were looking to put in there but i could see it working fine for notes/reminders etc

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Another option would be a pocket inside the gi jacket, under the side that folds over on top. No-one should be getting their fingers caught in that either. Obviously would depend what you were looking to put in there but i could see it working fine for notes/reminders etc
I've been working on that idea as well. I actually have been studying how to do this kind of tailoring and one of things I plan to start with is an inside pocket, as this is a little simpler than pants pockets. The only problem I'm running into is finding a way to not show threads on the front. There are a couple of options here, just need to test which one feels the most comfortable to wear.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be the dissent opinion here, from a grappling art standpoint I just don't like it. I'm good with pockets on the inside of a waistband for a mouth piece or such as you'll see on no go shorts, but external pockets seem a great way to snag small joints and would be a weak point in the construction.

Now, for a stand up style not focused on grappling I could see some logical arguments for them. But it would still create a weak point that would rip.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gi's that I've seen Century MA Supplies sell that have pockets were actually tailored in such a way that they could be worn in and out of the dojo; they looked just like a pair of jeans with pockets and a built-in gusseted crotch.

What Century has now is a 10oz Middleweight Brushed Cotton Traditional Waist WITH SIDE POCKETS priced at $74. No back pockets, just side pockets. They've also Krav Maga, Bruce Leet Uniform, and Little Ninja Uniform that all have side pockets.

It appears that the jeans Century once carried are no longer available, and for the trivia interested, Check Norris modeled them for Century's Catalog.

AWMA's ProForce pants line have SIDE POCKETS, no back pockets. Priced around $30 to $60

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point about grappling, and I agree. I don't think pockets for grappling arts are advisable. Not only are they a rip point, but could potentially harm your partner as they create points in which fingers and toes could get snagged. For those, maybe a little inside waist pouch for mouthguards, as you say, would be best.

Overall, I envisage this project as being focused towards gis that you train in, and not ones that you compete in. That said, I'm still brain storming ways to reduce rippage. Being that these are clothing items that will be used as active wear, trying to find a good solution has been a fun challenge.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You make a good point about grappling, and I agree. I don't think pockets for grappling arts are advisable. Not only are they a rip point, but could potentially harm your partner as they create points in which fingers and toes could get snagged. For those, maybe a little inside waist pouch for mouthguards, as you say, would be best.

this!!

opr1945
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to this, been about 4 months now. I have allergy issues so I frequently need a hankerchief. So I cut up an old white pillow case to 6"x6" square. Hemmed it and sewed it to the inside of the left of my uniform top on a 45 degree angle. (think shoulder holster for a gun.) I keep my hankerchief there. It's about 3 inches from the edge of the GI top. About where you see embroidering on the left chest of the GI, except on the inside. Hankerchief lays flat and I don't think it is very noticeable. And it's soft. Not sure I would want to carry wallet, cell phone or keys there. But, it seems to work well for a hankerchief. My instructor sometime carries a kleenex inside the front of their GI. Just loose. When they noticed it they were impressed. Especially When I said I made it, not my wife.

From reading this only issue I could see is if it weakened the material to where it would tear easier. It's a "comes with dues" SUN GI so probably not very strong to begin with. But, for now it seems to work fine.

opr1945
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a Ronin GI that came with a small pocket, approx. 2.5" x 4" on the left flap of the top of the GI on the inside. Where the tie is on the right of your body. Haven't worn it yet so don't know how convient/useful it is.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would use it or care for it. Maybe a back of the pants pocket, maybe, but that would be it. Though because the gi pants don't have pockets I don't use them as workout pants or walk around in them. I guess I could sleep in them but eh.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:

This reminds me of many years ago, we had a student somewhere around his late 40's, he was a smoker. He had sewn a pocket for his smokes inside his gi top. Not that he had them in there during class. Go figure. Sadly but not too surprisingly, he died of a stroke a year or 2 later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: